Crossfade transition cuts off

Wojtek_B

Hi,

I have noticed that this question has lready been asked but the answer provided does not match what is happening with my video.

I have a Windows 10 (64 bit) computer with Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3 GHz and 8GB RAM.

I am using a cross-fade video transition between clips.  I first edited the clips themselves, by removing audio, making them black and white and of course, prior to that, clipping them to the desired length.  I then applied the cross-fade video transition in such a way that I allowed to move clips to overlap.  Before applying a transition, I have also sped them up twice (the idea is that they need to be balck and white and sped up).  Surprisingly, the cross-fade transition between the first clip and the second one stalls the video so that towards the end of the first clip the video freezes, then the playhead moves over the beginning of the second clip, this beginning is also frozen, and then suddenly the image in the video strarts moving again.  Surprisingly enough, even though I have app;ied the identical transition between the second and the third clip, I am not encountering any such issues there and everything works perfectly fine.

What could be causing such an uneven transition just between those first two clips?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Best regards

Wojtek

Poland

Hi

The process you describe seems to work OK here with VP 5.31 but whilst looking at it I noticed the following which I think may be a small bug.......

Place a clip on the timeline and convert it to B&W .....If you then increase the clip speed to e.g. 200% (double) and for any reason have the "Insert transition frames" box ticked  then the speed of the now black and white clip is correctly increased but a section of frames before the end of the clip remain coloured.  as shown here....

8e2aa3c2265186797c1b509f7b7db8dc.jpg

Note that the cursor line is over the B&W  clip about 1/3 sec before the clip end but the preview is showing the clip in colour.

This does not happen if the Insert transition frames box is not ticked. Logically I would have thought that extra frames shouldn't be needed (or the choice available) if the clip speed is increased.

Can anybody check this? I know it's only minor.........

Nat

23 hours ago, Wojtek_B said:

Surprisingly, the cross-fade transition between the first clip and the second one stalls the video so that towards the end of the first clip the video freezes, then the playhead moves over the beginning of the second clip, this beginning is also frozen, and then suddenly the image in the video strarts moving again.

You may see this behavior on a FREEZE type transition - especially lengthy ones - if there is no pad video available at the end of the FROM clip or at the head of the TO clip.

Try, instead, a MOVE CLIPS TO OVERLAP transition.  The default is set under OPTIONS|EDITING.

Hi,

I've confirmed it's a bug. If you apply an effect to a speed changed clip, the transition will freeze (at the beginning of transition).

Also I want to clarify here that "insert transition frames" option only effects slowed down clips. It toggles if VideoPad would automatically insert dissolved frames between the original frame. We'll adjust the UI to avoid the confusion.

Thanks for reporting the issues.

Testing here confirmed the freeze, but on the FROM clip alone, and it made no difference whether FREEZE or MOVE was chosen.  The TO clip's action appeared to be fluid.

In retrospect, the TO clip's speed was not changed.  Had it been, it too might have frozen, as Wojtek described.

Hi

After repeating what I found ...and it did repeat, I noticed I was using MPEG2 clips converted from MPEG4s. . I don't know if that had any bearing on the coloured frames appearing (even with a single clip) but repeatedly testing showed that freezes and coloured frames etc. seemed very hit and miss. Sometimes both clips played without problems.

I just tested MPEG4 clips with different variations of effect/speed/transition etc. and at first couldn't find any problem. The clips played fine...no freeze or coloured frames. On deleteing the clips on the timeline and redoing the different steps the result sometimes froze; sometimes played through OK and sometimes in the middle of Clip 1 (speeded up and BW) the cursor would play jerkily half way through and then jump back to the start. So not sure what to think. :huh:

PS Rather like the new colour scheme and the rendering bar, even though narrow is more visible.:) (Not so sure about the rather vivid sound track though:D.)

Nat

On 13.12.2017 at 11:46 PM, c_major said:

Hi,

I've confirmed it's a bug. If you apply an effect to a speed changed clip, the transition will freeze (at the beginning of transition).

[...]

Thanks for reporting the issues.

Hi,

Any news on whether and when this particular bug is going to be removed?  I wnted to add that it seems to do the same (freeze or stall the video - both the end of the previous clip/frame and the beginning of th next one - irrespective of whether I use the freeze type transition or the "move clip" transition.

On a different topic - albeit not entirely as this also seems to be a bug and that makes me now a bit dubious as to the worth of my investment in NCH Video Pad editor: I have recently edited a simple 8-minute documentary video showcasing my visit to a dog shelter and showing me and my friend walking various dogs.  In between videos (i.e between videos showing different pairs of dogs that we walked) I created a dissolve transition of (as far as I remember) 2 seconds, and immediately after the transition ends I entered text (basically just the names of the dogs, nothing more).  As long as I was watching the end result in the preview, everything was relatively fine and smooth (I say "relatively" because at certain moments the video did seem to skip a second or two, however I blamed the fact that both the input and the output video were of high-definition and thus taking up quite some memory).  When I eventually had the whole video ready, I converted it to a HD (1920x1080), 25 fps video and saved it to my computer.

While in terms of resolution/definition it really came out great, I noticed one very unsettling thing: EVERYWHERE where there was a dissolve transition followed immediately by the text, a huge chunk (about 5-10 seconds or so) of the video came out as a blurry mass of something barely recognisable, the text and the video pixels all blend together and create a messy pattern PLUS it all freezes, and only after approx 5-10 seconds does it go back to normal again. It looks a little bit like on a TV screen in one of those moments when one satellite begins losing the signal, and another satellite "takes over" - for a few seconds the picture is then pixelated and some parts of it freeze.  It looks pretty much the same except that almost all the video is completely pixelated into one mass and almost all of it is frozen. 

Could you please kindly assist me there?  I wanted to publish to Facebook and/or YouTube but with something like that I do not want or can do it.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Wojtek

Poland

23 hours ago, c_major said:

We've just released v5.32 with this bug fixed. Please download the new version.

Many thanks.

Will I be able to open my project (created with the previous version of the program) in the newer version, just released, and then save it on my computer again?  Should it then get rid of the issue?

Best regards

Wojtek

Poland