how to change stereo balance

Aldo

I want to amplify just the left channel by 15% or so.  To express it another way: I want to change the stereo balance on an .mp3 file.  Seems like an easy, basic edit.  How do I do that?   I can view the channels separately, but can't figure out how to select one channel and not the other.  Please advise.

I can't figure out how to split channels into independent files either, and have often wondered if it was possible with WavePad, so I hope an answer is forthcoming. (I use audacity to easily do this type of thing.)

But your inquiry got me searching options in WavePad again, and here is what I've found (so far...)

Under the Effects tab, select Stereo Pan. This will open a new window, with anchor points at each end of the file. I selected one and (for example) dragged it up (left) - and then selected and dragged the other end to make the line level. Not a very exacting way to perform the task, but worth trying.

Surely there is a better way to achieve this and adjust by a percentage as you are looking to do.  Marking the thread!

• 1 month later...

It is a strange that after all the years that Wavepad has been on the market that you cannot select from one channel and not the other.  I believe there is a workaround.   You can split the file into it's component channels (that's an option under Edit->Split File).  This will create two new files conveniently labeled left & right.  Boost your left channel by 15%, then join them back together.

Thank you Eric - I think that is what we're looking for - although it would be nice if it split the channels into 2 vertically stacked/synced files (like Audacity does...)

For clarification: This function is not available in version 5.10 that I have on my win7 machine. Where I performed the above mentioned Stereo Pan simulation.

The Split > Into Component Channels is available in version 6.33 that I have on my win10 machine, through the Edit drop down menu. 

• 1 year later...

I am unable to access the Split into Conponent Channels functionality because the Split menu is always grayed out (inactive). What needs to be done for this menu to be available? I have tried selecting a portion of the overall file and I have tried without. Note that Split is not the only menu that is inactive. In fact, only Cleanup, Duplicate, Reverse, Lossless MP3, and the 4 options at the right end are available. The other 12 are inactive.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:20 PM, RickyDee said:

I am unable to access the Split into Conponent Channels functionality because the Split menu is always grayed out (inactive). What needs to be done for this menu to be available? I have tried selecting a portion of the overall file and I have tried without. Note that Split is not the only menu that is inactive. In fact, only Cleanup, Duplicate, Reverse, Lossless MP3, and the 4 options at the right end are available. The other 12 are inactive.

Unfortunately I cannot paste an image in here, but just click on the Edit Menu, then Split File - and the option there works for me.   I'm running latest version of Wavepad on Mac

Thanks to this thread, I have figured out a way to work with channels independently. It is a roundabout way, but at least it's a way.

1. As EricH says, first from Edit menu, Split - Split into component channels.

This creates a separate file for each channel and opens them in tabs. These files are mono, so you have to

2. Levels - Stereo Pan

It will give a message that the file is mono and that it will convert it to stereo. Select from the drop down menu Pan Everything Right, or Left depending on which channel you're working on.

Now you can edit that file however you need to.

3. Repeat Levels - Stereo Pan with your other file (other channel)

Edit that file, then copy the whole file. Go back to your other channel and paste mix.

The result is your new edited file, which you can save over the original or as a copy.

Hi Guys,

As of version 8.42 of WavePad, you can now do simple editing on individual channels. At the bottom of each file window is a new button you can use to enable separate channel editing. You also need to be select the view mode that shows the channels stacked vertically. Note that not all operations are supported here yet.

Regards,

Ben