Titles: Text clip

Sharona Duchne

Hi

When writing a Hebrew title in the 'text clip' if a comma or a dot or any anther character is needed at the end of the line it pop to appear at the beginning of the line.

In order to change it I am arranging that the line at the title will be ending with a word. And that the character will be at the middle of the title. But is is funny & not professional.

I am using 3.89 version and do not want to change it if not necessary.

Many Thanks

Sharona

Hi

Certainly version  3.89 is quite an old version and there were some problems I think with the text formatting using foreign fonts. I have however just looked at Hebrew texts and fonts and it does seem that a probable bug is placing full stops at the right hand end of the text line as the parser possibly considers Hebrew as a left to right read text.  Even if you Copy/Paste a line of Hebrew text from Google Translate where the full stop is correctly placed at the left end of the line, VP copies the text correctly put places the full stop at the right hand end.

e.g. Google...

9cd78311dbbb2b92a96f417ec4ceb4f9.jpg

Full stop correctly at the left (end) of the line.

Here is the same text cut and pasted into the VP editor....

e7cdff7386551cab914d59ac30ad97f8.jpg

The full stop has been moved to the right hand end (In this case the Start of the text.

What about editing the line of text then in order to correct this?............Testing with the VP editor it seems that you cannot manually set the editing cursor to a position before the left hand character of the text line in order to manually add a full stop there (or for that matter any character!) 

This is an fault apparently confined to the type of font being employed..Hebrew/Cyrillic/Arabic/Urdu. (Although VP would need to be tested for that statement to be correct. I just noticed it not working for Hebrew)

Later Edit:   The other right to left scripts mentioned also behave in the same way. Another anomaly noticed was that Right arrow move cursor left and vice versa (instead of the other way round)

I think this is a bug (Version 5.20 and earlier versions)

Using western/ European text and characters, whether typed in directly or copied /pasted from a translator,  the editor in VP will allow the cursor to move to a position before the first character of the line and permit editing. Perhaps NCH could take a look at this?

Nat

Hi Sam

OK. Sharona must use that character then. (Hebrew + Arabic....Hmmm) :)   But why won't the VP editor allow one to position the cursor at the end of the pasted Hebrew text in order to either delete the first character or add something in front of it like a full stop?  Somehow it didn't do this without a lot of fiddling about? Might it have something to do with the arrow cursors working in reverse?

Nat

Hi Sam

"You can't use arrow keys to get to the end of the pasted, try press [Home] key (like we use [End] key for English)."

Thanks... I didn't know that until I tried it!  It just looked a logical way to solve the problem of the full stop.  (I don't have much use for Hebrew text myself;  pasted or otherwise.:))  Using Home and End would seem then to be the only way to get the cursor into the correct place to delete or insert the full stop.  Hope Sharona reads that.

BTW...Wordpad and Notepad both behave normally here with english (or L-R) text directly typed in or pasted in and can be stepped through in both directions with the arrow keys to all positions.  (Home and End keys also work but I usually simply click the cursor at the position required and type from there.) 

Nat