Another green screen issue

Cpbowles

I have a voice talent doing an intro video in front of a clean blue screen. It's a .mov video that's loaded onto Track 1, the main video.

I overlayed a .jpg image (have tried both a light background image and a dark background image) with no other image editing onto Track 2.

I added the green screen effect on the CLIP on Track 1, eye-dropped the very uniform blue background color (no blue in the talent's image), and adjusted the Fading and Threshold sliders to get rid of the background and eliminate blue edges around the talent's hairline. When I play that Clip, it looks fine. I see an alpha-channel background in the Clip Preview. I used Auto base, but also tried Color and Brightness options. Color and Auto work the same.

If I solo Track 1 and watch the Sequence Preview, I see a full black background instead of an alpha channel, but the talent stands out from it and it looks okay.

But when I combine the video on Track 1 and the stretched jpg image on Track 2 in Sequence Preview, I only see the jpg image. I hear audio from the video, but the talent image does not show up. I adjusted the Threshold/Fading controls while playing through the sequence, and even adjusted opacity in the jpg image track, which makes the talent show up slightly, BUT pastes the new background on top of the talent image.

So,

1. Is it true that the new background image is overlayed on a track above the primary video?

2. Is the feature supposed to superimpose the primary video track 1 image, without its blue color background, on top of the overlayed track image?

3. Have I missed something in the directions?

I've looked at the other explanations and watched several descriptions, but it's not working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi

You need to place your "Green" screen voice talent clip on Video Track 2 which is the overlay track and the "Background" stretched image clip on Video Track 1.

Think from the point of view that clips on upper tracks  obscure clips on lower tracksT. (i.e.They overlay).  Any areas made transparent in those upper clips will  NOT hide the lower track areas. Currently your "Background" stretched image clip is on the overlay track and consequently completely covers up your voice talent clip.

You have correctly made the required areas of your voice talent clip transparent (i.e. the blue screen areas). It shows the chequered background in clip preview and this appears black in sequence preview.

You need your voice talent clip on Video Track 2 and your stretched image clip on Video Track 1 so...Just swap the tracks.

Nat

Hi,

What version are you currently using? 

In regards to your inquiries,

1. Is it true that the new background image is overlayed on a track above the primary video? 

This will be true based on the settings you have applied to this videos, and of course, if you currently have a green screen clip.  

2. Is the feature supposed to superimpose the primary video track 1 image, without its blue color background, on top of the overlayed track image?

Yes, that is basically what the Chroma-Key effect does.

3. Have I missed something in the directions?

There are video tutorials that can be use as reference, YouTube videos that show the effect and steps, please review. 

Hi

Just to clarify.......

This is the BACKGROUND image.

b7094640c6881f22bbae619cd36d2b34.jpg

This the GREEN SCREEN  image.  The background is to be made transparent

d1c428b41377d60ca22273938274b549.jpg

With the background masked out and filled with red. (Could be any uniform colour...Not necessarily green). The Red area in this example  will be rendered transparent using the green screen effect. In this example blue couldn't be used as the object is, in itself blue and would also become transparent.

ec8d634b73aa508da10b1ba42f3ee89d.jpg

The Cornfield  BACKGROUND  image is   placed   on Video Track 1

The GREEN SCREEN Bubble car image is placed on Video Track 2  above the background image/clip

When the sequence is viewed, the overlay clip covers the background.......the cornfield is hidden.

ab8985f13e58acbe349bd45368dbc956.jpg

The GREEN SCREEN effect is now applied to the overlay image.clip. The colour to be rendered transparent can be colour picked from the image or in this case, as it is pure Red .....Red can be set with the RGB settings.

As soon as this is done the chosen colour in the overlay becomes transparent..........

Any remaining border can be removed or reduced with a higher Threshhold setting

e0ad8311a373ae19b6d866bae6302810.jpg

In this example the Bubble car clip appears against the background cornfield clip......

ea86a0341866f3bbe086a7e8d30444b7.png

NOTE: 

The    BACKGROUND    clip/image   goes   on  VIDEO TRACK 1 (Cornfield)

The GREEN SCREENED   image/ clip goes on VIDEO TRACK 2 (Bubble car)

Upper tracks cover up lower tracks apart from transparent areas. (Not the other way.)

Hope this makes this clearer.

Nat