Preview buffers even on 360p on powerful computer

thefsm93

Hello! I'm new to the forum and new to video editing. I am a huge fan of VideoPad and I bought the professional version of the software. That being said I keep running into an issue with the software where the preview seems to lag even after it has been played before. I have increased the video cache to 20GB and it still runs into this issue. Looking at my computer specs I wouldn't think this would be a problem, but maybe someone here can correct me:

I7-6800K (Clocked at 4.0GHZ)
AMD Fury-X 4GB Graphics Card
32GB 2133 DDR4 Memory
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (boot drive)
2x Intel 750 400GB PCI-E NVM Drives

Anyone have any further tips for how to get the video preview to buffer less or process quicker? Maybe I have some settings wrong or maybe I can configure something differently so this isn't a problem? Or is this just something Video-pad does? This happens even though my preview is set at 360p.

Choose a lower preview resolution to see if that helps.

If practicable please share the project so others can attempt to duplicate your issue.  Click FILE|SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT.  Upload the resultant folder/files to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like and post a public link here.

Hi

If you are using 16:9 video  (720p or 1080 etc.) Click Tools/Options and under the Display tab click the down arrow next to the right of the  Preset box.

Select 512 x 288 (16:9) and see if that speeds things up. (Ought to)

My PC ....

Vista    Windows Vista Édition Familiale Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz   

2.00 Go RAM Single-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (Gigabyte) 2047MB

.....nearly always shows a Preview buffering warning if the preview is greater than 1074 x 576  and if set any higher there is a huge delay while the thumbnails in the bin and the timeline are regenerated and playing a sequence is a non starter. At 640 x 360 it runs fine.

Nat

Dropping to 512 x 288 didn't seem to have much effect, and turning off hardware acceleration made things much worse! :P

I did however start giving it more time to process and buffer and that seemed to help :) I might also try re-imaging this machine at somepoint in the future to see if that will help. 

I have the same problem, powerful computer, but I always get "buffering" while previewing (the more clips, the worse). Changing the preview resolution or the fps doesn't help. The preview also gets stuck nearly after every clip/scene. And once the preview is running, I often can't stop it anymore - the video is stuck, sound is still playing, but videopad does not respond to any interactions. Sometimes I have to wait until the whole sequence is over, before I can continue working with videopad.

However, I think I know the reason for that. If I change the preview fps to any value, the preview doesn't get stuck after one clip (no buffering) - unfortunately for a few seconds only. I'm pretty sure, it has something to do with the background queues (videopad is always working in the background). These background processes obviously are so demanding, that the preview doesn't have enough CPU time to work correctly. Unfortunately there is no way to stop these background processes...

Hi

Check the CPU % usage in the task manager. Is it running at 100% when VP is working?

Also do you clear the cache after every editing session? If you do, then  VP has to recache your files from your project file data and although it may load them and give the appearence that it is ready for you to edit ,it may still be generating thumbnails and organising the clips and edits in the background, particularly for a project with lots of clips, effects, edits and tracks. Trying to change things  or play the project while this is happening will be subject to stops and starts and building preview messages.  If you only have one project, load it and then clear the cache of unused files. You only need to do this once . That project will load much more quickly when you next come to edit. Obviously if you clear the cache before you start a session you delete, in effect all the project data which then has to be regenerated.

Nat

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2017 at 2:10 AM, TD070VA1 said:

Been using VP for years and been having the same issue. No matter the computer, hardware, or preview setup, performance is bad.

This is because unlike the rest which uses real-time processing, VP processes all effects and what not, then encodes them for preview (at least that's what I can infer).

Sadly I don't think they utilize hardware encoding which makes lives soo much easier for us. QuickSync and alike is very common today.

Everybody should be able to duplicate the problem.

I just want to sign this statement. It happens for me all the time as well. I've spent $60 on a software, and the developers should put all their effort in improving the preview video. It has never been an issue when I used Adobe Premiere Elements, which is somewhat comparable to VideoPad in many aspects.