Fast forwarding interference on (Philips) DS2 audio recordings

MiniCheddar

Hello everyone - new here.  I have been using Express Scribe (Pro) for years and years, no (major) issues with the DS2 files, until recently... 

Something sinister has started happening with the Philips DS2 files I'm being sent - from 3 completely unrelated sources.  I have encountered the same problem with each.  And it is as follows: 

A noise interference on some - not all; just apparently randomly occurring - files in the form of a "fast-forwarding" noise which renders the speech inaudible.  This interference lasts for, again, a random length of time - sometimes 1-2 seconds; sometimes up to around 10 seconds in length. 

I've attempted to contact every possible person I can find contact information for within Philips, on many occasions, and they have not responded.  

I should add, converting to WAV only converts the noise disturbance issue over as well - not helpful!  And on attempting to convert directly from the voice recorder when uploading onto PC to WAV renders the file unusable for some reason... 

Please can anyone advise?  Wit's end territory here.  

As stated on the NCH Software site http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/kb/1769.html the DS2 files are not supported by Express Scribe.
You can check a list of compatible formats at http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/kb/656.html

There's the possibility that the original DS2 files already come with the noise interference and when converted it will carry over that interference. If you're converting them into WAV files and the interference is still there, it is very possible that the original DS2 files already come with interference.
To confirm this, play your DS2 files with a compatible player and check if the interference is there.

If t is, inform the source of the file.

If it is not, as Express Scribe is not compatible with DS2 files, convert it to a compatible format like WAV or MP3.
If the converted file has interference, it was added during the conversion process

You can also compare by playing the converted WAV file with Windows Media Player, if it has interference it means that the original DS2 file has interference or it was added during the conversion process.

Hi Gekker, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Can you recommend a compatible DS2 player?  An important point to note, I only have Express Scribe.  I have a trial version of the Olympus ODMS but the Philips dictated DS2 files with noise interference play the noise interference also on the Olympus player.  Obviously, I wish to avoid having to go out and purchase brand new Philips transcription software just in order to be able to play these files! So if you are able to recommend an alternative I can use that would be really helpful? 

I would like to know exactly: what is the cause of this noise interference?  (If I know maybe I can recommend something to the people who are dictating.  This is happening from three completely separate individuals.)

Thanks again,

MC  

I think you will have no option but to purchase the Phillips software.  I have that happen with my clients who chose to go to Olympus DS2.  Same thing - some files are okay but some have that "fast-forward" noise that lasts for an indeterminate time.  I eventually had to purchase the Olympus software which I use ONLY for converting the files to DSS so that I can play them in Express Scribe.  It was either that or lose my clients, which would have been much more costly to me.