recording issue

bradr

When I try and record my desktop, I tried it saving to an avi and a mov and bot times it recorded audio but black screen.  when I did it as an mp4 it was ok.  It wasn't a game or anything, just about 1 minute of desktop movement.  Any ideas?  I usually buy my software in a store so I am a little leary of downloading and buying in the first place.  Any ideas?

9 hours ago, bradr said:

I tried it saving to an avi and a mov...

I don't understand "saving to".  I use "Record as", and have just recorded the same wildlife webcam, which is displaying on my desktop, in both avi and mov and the files play absolutely fine.

Ab26qs0.jpg

I am no expert but I do a lot of screen-capturing and have found that mp4 is the best "bang for buck" - avi recordings tend to be less easy to edit and I don't see much, if any, quality difference - and do mov files require QuickTime?  Can't remember, but I can do without that cluttering me up ;) -

11 hours ago, clemenzina said:

I don't understand "saving to".  I use "Record as", and have just recorded the same wildlife webcam, which is displaying on my desktop, in both avi and mov and the files play absolutely fine.

Ab26qs0.jpg

I am no expert but I do a lot of screen-capturing and have found that mp4 is the best "bang for buck" - avi recordings tend to be less easy to edit and I don't see much, if any, quality difference - and do mov files require QuickTime?  Can't remember, but I can do without that cluttering me up ;) -

I meant to say record as.  What is the best thing to use to edit an mp4?

What I am trying to do is record what I am doing on the desktop then maybe bein able to edit in a few things like short bursts of text so I can teach someone how I am doing what I do.  Then, I want to be able to take it to another computer or burn it to a dvd for someone to watch on their dvd player on their tv or computer so I assume I have to use debut to record it then edit it with something else?  Then would I need a 3rd program to either burn it to a dvd?  Can I just copy the mp4 to a flash drive and then let them put it on their computer to play it?  Or does debut prohibit them from doing that unless they use debut's software?  Sorry I am new to this and just

I don't have anything to do with recording stuff I'm doing on the desktop, only wildlife webcams.

15 hours ago, bradr said:

Can I just copy the mp4 to a flash drive and then let them put it on their computer to play it?

There's your easiest solution, IMHO - there would be no objection from Debut, and presumably the other PC owner would have the editing software required.