Preview not complete? Green line missing.

Aresby

Hi Guys

Another video, another surprise from VP.

This time, I noticed the preview was being particularly awkward, with it freezing with a fixed picture many times, especially after I had cut it. I've cleared the cache to force it to regenerate but it happened many times. I even changed the resolution of the preview to ensure it really was regenerating the cache. 

I also noticed that when I added video clips to the project, no preview seemed to be generated; that is, you could play the clip, but no green line appeared below the clip to indicated it was (or had) generated the preview.

Many of my clips now have partial green lines (I left it for several hours) with several gaps. Here's a (partial) screen shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqht4s0lovy0jxx/VP_PreviewLineWithGaps.png?dl=0

I've never seen this sort of behaviour before with VP (all my clips in all my other 70+ videos all generate the green line as soon as added to the project, with no gaps).

I've cleared the cache, restarted VP, but the behaviour persists. Is my cache too small? I've set it to clear out unused cache files once it hits 1Gb.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Aresby said:

I've cleared the cache, restarted VP, but the behaviour persists. Is my cache too small? I've set it to clear out unused cache files once it hits 1Gb.

Many times, in fact. I even moved the cache folder around. VP used to be so stable...

On the plus side, it did export my 30+ minute video, first time, without crashing or anything! 

This has actually been happening to me for a few years now. After so long the green process bar for the clips sometimes doesn't appear.

On 12/02/2017 at 4:55 PM, Aresby said:

Many times, in fact. I even moved the cache folder around. VP used to be so stable...

On the plus side, it did export my 30+ minute video, first time, without crashing or anything! 

Did that, even moved the cache folder to a different drive, no difference. I'll be making another video this weekend so I'll let you know if the symptoms repeats...

17 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

My "Clear out" volume is set to 3000 (3 Gb)  Try changing the value and see if it cures the problem. I don't think it IS the problem as it only clears out unused files. i.e. those not in the loaded project. But give it a try anyway.

Nat

Mmm. Interesting. I added my clips in the usual fashion. They tried to start generating the green line but gave up about 30% of the way through (the green line generated so far disappeared).

I then increased the "cache clear out" setting to 3Gb and guess what? They started generating the green line again and succeeded. Coincidence? Only NCH support will be able to tell us whether that clear out value is in some the maximum size of the cache directory. Is this the answer?