...Building Preview

Someguy

I'm editing a couple of 720p clips with a few effects here and there, and videopad refuses to 'preview' my video, which is barely 10 seconds long. The build preview pops up every 2 seconds and it never finishes. How are you supposed to work like this?

I have 16gb of ram and it's choking like i'm editing 4k. I'm on the free version if that matters.

From what you've told me, there's 2 possibilties.

1) If you're clicking the "Preview" button, or "File->Preview Project...", and it opens up a separate window.

In this case, it's most likely due to the complexity of the sequence. That window doesn't buffer at all, and a high resolution / framerate (down the bottom of the window) or complicated effects, or many tracks, all can cause what you're describing. In this case, unfortunately the only options are to either lower the resolution / framerate, or (if that doesn't help) just assume that the sequence preview is good enough. Normally I would suggest you export at a lower resolution, but the free version tracks your export count.

2) If you're just hitting play in the main window

In this case, there's a few options.

You could try clearing the cache (Open a blank project, then go to "Tools->Options->Disk (Tab)" and click "Clear Unused Cache Files")

You could also try lowering the preview resolution (Right-click the preview, select "Change Preview Resolution...").

The fullscreen-preview dialog defaults to the size of the largest video source, or the size of your monitor, whichever's smaller.

The normal playback preview defaults to 768x432, as we've found that to be a good balance between quality and speed.

EDIT: Either way, I'm glad that your problem's fixed :)

11 minutes ago, NotADevWinkWink said:

The normal playback preview defaults to 768x432, as we've found that to be a good balance between quality and speed.

H NADWW

Is there a default reset button for this?  I find my manual preset remains in force until I change it, it doesn't default to 768 x 432 even if VP is closed and reloaded.. (Don't mind but just wondered :-)  )

Nat