High CPU use, High temp, shutdown, i7 quad core

AussieWayne

Hi guys

I have recently purchased VideoPadV 4.48 and it keeps shutting down my laptop every time I try and use it, sometimes just after 5 to10 minutes or less.

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 840QM @ 1.87GHz 51 °C

Clarksfield 45nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 1521 (CPU 1) 46 °C

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)

1024MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M (HP) 50 °C

Storage

447GB ADATA SP550 (SSD) 32 °C

Optical Drives

hp DVDRAM GT30L

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

All of the above is kept totally updated.

I have managed to assemble a 22 minute video with just the native audio track plus a few video overlays and a few transitions. This was shot with my iPad Air so I have been working with .mov files.

I was only able to, achieve this by working in 5 or so minute cycles and minimising VideoPad when the CPU temp gets up around 95 degrees C. This took a long time and is very frustrating as some times it would just shut down when the temp appeared not that high??

Now that I am trying to export the resultant movie it just gets too hot and forces the laptop to shutdown even if I disable and turn off all internet, AVG and unneeded apps and background programs. The most I can get to is about 20% and then it is too hot and shuts down. I have tried various output settings

Custom

.mp4

1280 x 720 YouTube 720

25.00 Pal TV

After about 4 minutes of exporting this was the readings below

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 840QM @ 1.87GHz 94 °C

Clarksfield 45nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 1521 (CPU 1) 56 °C

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)

1024MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M (HP) 73 °C

Storage

447GB ADATA SP550 (SSD) 35 °C

Optical Drives

hp DVDRAM GT30L

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

then a moment later it went to 95 °C and the laptop shut down????

This configuration should be able to handle a basic media processing program such as VideoPad but there is some sort of conflict happening here. Does anybody have any advice on how to fix this problem please?

Thank you

AussieWayne

Video editing is resource intensive, but this shouldn't be happening.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\Advanced

Review the cooling and power settings. Also check the BIOS.

HP support may be able to advise what power plan/settings to use for effective cooling.

Hi borate

Thank you for tour input.

I have checked the power settings and they are the recommended Balanced option.

Cant see anything about cooling settings.

Don't really know what I am doing in checking the bios?

Also I have tried using a USB plug in fan which is effective under normal situations but not with this challenge.

I should also say that I do not have a over heating problem with any other programs only when I open up VideoPad.

When I minimise VideoPad to the task bar the temperatures immediately drop by 20 to 30 degrees C ????

This most likely is some sort of unresolved conflict with VideoPad and I would love to know how to fix it.

AussieWayne

Sam

That did the trick thank you very much.

The difference is amazing. The temperatures dropped by around 20 degrees C to an acceptable 70 to 80 degrees C with VideoPad operating.

I can even work on other things whilst VideoPad is doing it's thing.

Kind regards and Best Wishes for Christmas

AussieWayne

• 1 year later...

Well, I just purchased VideoPad 6.10 a couple of weeks ago and I am having the same problem. I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Laptop Intel i77500u 8GB, 64-bit 2.7 2.9GHz. Initially it just shut down when I was trying to save my full project which included multiple shorter videos from about 50-plus MB to over 100MB. Now, even when I am trying to make adjustments to the smaller video segments the machine is shutting down. I need to finalize this project ASAP for a presentation. Can anyone offer advice? This thread was a couple years ago and different VideoPad version. Same issue though. Thanks. T. A.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 12:02 PM, borate said:

Clear Unused Cache Files, under OPTIONS|DISK tab.  Under the EDITING tab, try toggling Use Hardware-Accelerated Video Effects.  Update your video driver.

Update Videopad here.  It won't cost you anything.  If the problem persists, post again.

Thanks Borate. I did everything except update my video driver and so far so good. I'll report back if and when I start having issues again. I've just started this new project (by the way the previous project was a hit) so I'll have to see as I go. Thanks again for the input!