Change the sound timing

DH888

Does anyone know how I can change the sound timing in a video. The sound is about 5 seconds ahead of the video. I didn't encode or record this so I don't have an original file that has the correct timing.

Right-click in the audio track and UNLINK it from video. Then drag the track to the right, to line up with the picture.

Right-click in the audio track and UNLINK it from video. Then drag the track to the right, to line up with the picture.

Thanks borate I see how that works

Do you know any way I can line it up with any kind of precision. Manually moving it back and forth like this might literally take hours. It just won't seem to line up. I've got it close but can't get it quite right.

I wonder if you would be willing is there a way I could get the file I'm trying to fix to you and you could see what you could do and then tell me how you did it specifically. If you have the time and inclination I mean. :)

Thanks borate I see how that works

Do you know any way I can line it up with any kind of precision. Manually moving it back and forth like this might literally take hours. It just won't seem to line up. I've got it close but can't get it quite right.

I wonder if you would be willing is there a way I could get the file I'm trying to fix to you and you could see what you could do and then tell me how you did it specifically. If you have the time and inclination I mean. :)

You know it's really not working anyway. I disconnected the sound from the video and I can see how you can move it independent of the video but even when I do that and then preview the result the sound and video are still in exactly the same relation to each other. I'm really not sure what else I should be doing.

You may be dragging video along with the audio. Try holding down <ctrl> while dragging.

A file can be uploaded to Dropbox, Google DRIVE, Microsoft OneDrive, etc., made public and linked here. Do that with your file and someone may take a look.

You may be dragging video along with the audio. Try holding down <ctrl> while dragging.

A file can be uploaded to Dropbox, Google DRIVE, Microsoft OneDrive, etc., made public and linked here. Do that with your file and someone may take a look.

Thanks borate. I'll do that.

Hi

You could try this...

You need to move the audio track to the right as you say it is about 5 seconds early.

If you have a clear visual clue somewhere in the video and a clear corresponding sound peak in the audio start by unlinking the video and audio as Borate suggests.

Now move the cursor to precisley this point using frame by frame movement if necessary and then split just Video TracK 1 at precisely this point (NOT THE AUDIO) Use the down arrow next to the split button to select the track in question.

Locate the matching audio peak and split Audio Track 1. The splits should be about 5 seconds apart.

Now grab the right hand portion of the audio track and drag it to the right where it will jump and lock at the split you made on Video Track 1.

You should now have the tracks in synch from this point on

Now grab the left hand portion of the audio track and drag it to right where it should jump to and join up with the remainder of the audio.

Play through the join to check it plays OK.

Use the Redo button if it's not right and try again.

If it's OK "Save Project As" using a new name for the .vpj file so you can come back to it.

Click the "Sequence" tab followed by "New"

The timeline will clear as the sequence is saved.

You can now open the sequence bin and add the work back to the timeline as a complete clip and carry on working.

Nat

The files uploaded to Google Drive as you suggested borate.

Hopefully someone is willing to help me out and then explain to me exactly how they did it. :)

Original File (Sound is out of sync on this one too)

Converted File (The one I really want to fix since it includes changes I wanted to make to improve the quality of the Video anyway)

Hi

I downloaded a part of the second avi you posted. (Only a part as it seemed a big file) Yes the sound did not synch correctly. Seeking a point where I could match the visuals to the sound as per my post above; there is a section where a woman appears and starts with the word "MAC" On the the video (or least the part I downloaded) it is at about 0:17:31;127

Her lips are together as she pronounces the "M". Step through a frame at a time to pinpoint the exact position, Note the video position You coud add a bookmark at the cursor if required as this makes a reference line.

Zoom into the tracks to about 3/4 of the slider movement and you will see the sound peaks.

Play the video through this position and note the peak where you hear "MAC" The start of this peak

is about 0:17:37:528 This, (at least in my download makes the sound about about 5-6 seconds LATE not early.

3470bcd20967401dd36427f039cd1c5a.jpg

This image shows the cursor at the "M" peak

Anyway, in order to get the two points to match I unlinked the audio and video and added a blank clip to the start of the video track. In storyboard mode I altered the duration to 5 seconds. (This appeared to about the amount of time the sound was late in my download) This had the effect of pushing the visuals along by 5 seconds. Returning to the timeline mode and the synch position I found the audio and the visuals now matched OK.

Check and see if this works for you.

Nat

Hi

I downloaded a part of the second avi you posted. (Only a part as it seemed a big file) Yes the sound did not synch correctly. Seeking a point where I could match the visuals to the sound as per my post above; there is a section where a woman appears and starts with the word "MAC" On the the video (or least the part I downloaded) it is at about 0:17:31;127

Her lips are together as she pronounces the "M". Step through a frame at a time to pinpoint the exact position, Note the video position You coud add a bookmark at the cursor if required as this makes a reference line.

Zoom into the tracks to about 3/4 of the slider movement and you will see the sound peaks.

Play the video through this position and note the peak where you hear "MAC" The start of this peak

is about 0:17:37:528 This, (at least in my download makes the sound about about 5-6 seconds LATE not early.

3470bcd20967401dd36427f039cd1c5a.jpg

This image shows the cursor at the "M" peak

Anyway, in order to get the two points to match I unlinked the audio and video and added a blank clip to the start of the video track. In storyboard mode I altered the duration to 5 seconds. (This appeared to about the amount of time the sound was late in my download) This had the effect of pushing the visuals along by 5 seconds. Returning to the timeline mode and the synch position I found the audio and the visuals now matched OK.

Check and see if this works for you.

Nat

Wow you really are an Einstein.

I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks for taking the time to do all that. I know it's finicky work doing precision timing like that so I definitely appreciate it.

I'm pretty busy this week but I'll let you know if it worked for me when I get a chance to try it.

1. If the original video starts out IN SYNC what causes it to convert totally out of sync and how can I prevent it?

2. If the original video starts in sync and gradually starts to go out of sync how do you fix that or prevent it?

Hi

It may be related to the rendering format but really can't say. Perhaps someone with an in depth knowledge of how audio and visuals are kept together during rendering may explain. It may even have happened when the file was downloaded.

To resynch you could try this...Using the example you posted above....

Unlink the sound.

Run through the video (use the scrubber red line to do this) until you see the clip where the lady is speaking the "M" of "MAC" as shown in the examples above.

Examine the audio peaks and stop the the sound on the peak corresponding to the "M" (Shown above)

Split the sound track.

Now drag the left section of the audio vertically down onto Audio track 2.

Mute the right hand section on Audio track 1 so it doesn't distract.

Move the red cursor line to where the woman has her lips pursed to say "MAC"

You now have two reference points, the end of the first bit of audio "M" and the "MAC" of the visuals.

With the reported desynchronisation, they will not be in the same place.

Now change the speed setting of the track 2 audio (left hand bit) to make it play for longer (lower the speed setting a notch) or shorter (increase the speed setting) depending on the desynch. As you change the speed you should see the audio on Track 2 stretch out. or shrink back. Change the speed setting so as to get the two points together. i.e. the "M" peak coincident with the red cursor line. (Don't change the pitch)

Once they are together review the video.

If it's OK unmute the right hand section of the sound on track 1 and pull it along to the right of the "M" beyond the synch point.This is to give you enough room to drag the sound on Audio track 2 vertically back to Audio track 1.

Check it is still in synch and then close the gap between the two audio sections.

Make a note of the speed setting you have applied for first part of the sound track and apply it to the second part of the sound track. (assuming it desynchs at the same rate) This should ensure, hopefully that the second part of the sound track will now also remain in synch.

Nat

Hi Borate

You are correct. For this video it would be impractical. Sorry I suggested it. It worked for the piano/orchestra audio files I was working on as these were quite short but the DH888 video is 43 minutes and even if you chose to synch somewhere near the centre, a 1% change in the speed would jump it about 25 seconds! Didn't think about that until I tried it. It's a pity you can't just grab the end of the audio clip and drag it - to squash or stretch it into synch.

Nat

That would be very handy Solo.

Think they read these.

Never mind no company would have the time to read everything their customers are saying on their site too bad because that would be very handy functionality to add to VideoPad indeed.

Smile (I have a cat named Solo. He's named that because he was the only one in the litter.)

So I've got one of those files that starts out with the sound and video in sync and using both VP and WinAVI goes out of sync. Badly in fact. I've uploaded the original file to my google drive if someone would like to try their hand at seeing if they can convert the flv to avi without losing sync. if you succeed in this tell me how.

Also at the very beginning before the video even starts there's very noticeable white noise and I was wondering if there's a way in VP to remove or counteract or cover this white noise. It's something I've seen many times with older tv shows and movies I've downloaded from the net so it would be very handy to be able to fix this once and for all. A VERY useful skill to have.

Big Thanks

Hi

I downloaded your video as an .flv file and loaded it into VP

Up to 11 mins 35 (the first section of the video), the sound synchs OK but the second section of the film...(presumably after the TV adverts) was immediately out of synch. It suggests that the problem lies with the original recording and therefore would remain like this even if you converted it to an .avi (which is only a container anyway).

The are 8 sections in the total video (the first being OK) so I think if you split at each each fade out (easily seen in the soundtrack) you can unlink the sound from each section and resynch it as explained above. Worth a try.

I'll try the second section and see if this will work and then edit this post with a result.

Later: Yes you can pull the unlinked soundtrack to the right to resynch the section. So split the video at each section and save each of them as a sequence and then work on each one as a separate sequence. It's quicker than trying to do the sections as part of the whole video.If you want to work in that way just add a blank clip of about 2 mins at the end of each section to allow space to drag the sound track into. I haven't checked but each section may have a different lag.

Nat.