Status window not showing "Audio streaming has started"

boblite

[1] Today I downloaded and installed SoundTap. My computer is a Lenovo desktop running Win 7 pro, and is using an ASUS Xonar sound card. Sound Tap correctly recognized the card.

I started SoundTap and the status window indicated "Successfully connected to driver".

However I did not receive a message in the status window indicating that audio streaming had started and after many tries have still not succeeded in getting that message. Whenever I try to record, I get the message "Waiting for an audio stream to record".

[2] In the Options window I selected

== Recordings folder (C:\Users\Bob\Music),

== Output Format (mp3)

== Record to a VRS -- left unchecked

== Devices - Sound input device: Wave(ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

(Later on I tried all the other devices in the dropdown list but this did not help)

[3] In the Find and Play Recordings window I selected the Sound Play Device as S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

I right clicked on the Windows speaker icon and selected Recording devices. I selected the option of "ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device".

[3] Several times I tried stopping and restarting the music. Also I shut down SoundTap and restarted with the music not playing, then started the music. Also I shut down SoundTap and restarted with the music already playing.

Still no joy despite these various tries. Any ideas on what might help ?

SOLUTION FOUND

These were my initial settings, that did not work

Case 1: DID NOT WORK

SoundTap Options > Recordings Folder> C:\Users\Bob\Music

SoundTap Options > Sound Input device: Wave(Asus Xonar DG Audio Device)

Find and Play Recordings>Recording> All options grayed out

Find and Play Recordings>Play Options>Sound Play Device> S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

Windows sound playback set to - S/PDIF Pass Through Device (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

Windows sound recording set to - Wave (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

STATUS WINDOW SHOWS

Successfully connected to driver

But does not show "audio streaming has started" when music is being played through the sound card

/-------------------------------------------------------

Case 2: AFTER TRIAL AND ERROR THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS WORKED

SoundTap Options > Recordings Folder> C:\Users\Bob\Music

SoundTap Options > Sound Input device> Stereo Mix(ASUS Xonar DG Audio)

Find and Play Recordings>Recording> All options grayed out

Find and Play Recordings>Play Options>Sound Play Device> Speakers(ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

Windows sound playback set to: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

Windows sound recording set to: Stereo Mix (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device)

STATUS WINDOW SHOWS

Successfully connected to driver

Soundtap is receiving an audio stream

/------------------------------------------

Basically goes to show it's important to twiddle both the SoundTap settings and the Windows sound controller settings if SoundTap is not recording.

However, it still would be vastly preferable to make SoundTap work properly when S/PDIF is set to be the playback device, so that the sound plays through my nice Onkyo amplifier and seven speakers rather than through the ASUS sound card speakers.