Video glitching and freezing on playback

c1sanford

I like to record video clips from You Tube and other sources. I used the Debut Media recorders for this. When I playback the recorded clips they have the appearance of being highly degraded and often contains glitches, freeze frames, etc. The clips sometimes have moments of audio distortion, The clips appear to be fine when viewing directly from the website. The trouble occurs when viewing the recorded clip from the hard drive. The defect appears in the clips when playing on the Windows player and VLC player. I'm running Windows 10 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop.

This kind of problem is way out of my range to fully diagnose. I am left with the impression that the defect seems to resemble defects that I would expect to be issues of insufficient memory or improper resolution setting.

As best as I know how to determine playing the clips seem to only increase the memory usage to no more than 46%. I run the pc at full resolution of 1366 x 768. Decreasing it down to 1280 does not seem to improve the playbacks. I may be interpreting the result from these incorrectly. Everything else on the PC seems to be running OK.

What am I missing and how can this problem be found and resolved. Tnx

Hello, In this case you may want to try deleting the browser's cache or try using a different browser to open the page you are recording from. Also, when you are capturing the screen you may want to increase the frames per second on the program by going to Options > Video > Screen Capture. In case the issues remain after trying these steps then you may want to contact NCH software support for further assistance.

Thank your for sharing your insight into this problem and the accompanying tips. I currently run Google Chrome after Internet Explorer deteriorated beyond a useful level. I made a test recording using Microsoft Edge and found no discernible improvement. Likewise increasing the frame rate to the max available, the problem remained constant. Clearing out the Chrome browers cache also had no effect. The only constant in this is that the viewing the clips without recording gets great results. The captured videos breaks up badly.

I recently concluded that the magnitude of the instability and degradation seems to be dependent upon the rate of change of the activity being shown in the clip. Ie, a educational clip containing little movement seems to be a lot less subject to video glitching. A clip of a scene from the performance show like "Burn The Floor" suffers badly. Too me this still points to a memory problem.

Recently I read a post suggesting that a possible cause might be marginal overheating of the CPU. What do you think? For the record I was able to get a reading of the exhaust air to be at 44* centigrade / 111* Fahrenheit. There is clearly an air flow. Like the temperature issue the expected air flow is not documented anywhere that I know of. An aging fan would show a change in power and/or current consumption. I think I can recall a utility that somehow could measure or track these parameter for PC's running XP. Or am I confused. I believe that the normal speed in rpm is documented by the fan makers. I may end up trying to assemble a strobe scope with a light source, optical transistor and a frequency counter. At this point i have no progress to report. Tnx

• 2 weeks later...

I am having exactly the same problem -- video and audio stagger and break up repeatedly when recording from the screen, whereas the original source played perfectly while I record. I am saving files as MP4, but they are useless.

Apparently increasing the frame rate is not the solution.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 3 years later...

just purchased the full software for my Son. When he records a game while playing, you can hear sound as if the game is progressing but the video is frozen on the first screen/frame. Anyone any ideas? Its not glitching, the video he has just recorded just isn't playing (but the sound is)

• 1 year later...

Definitely need to use 'Fast Capture' mode, by selecting 'Fast Capture' from the 'Record Screen as:' menu (instead of other formats such as .mp4). The resulting video will be an .avi. I then use free software, such as Miro Video Converter, to convert to .mp4. The .avi file size isn't too bad, even though the Help page says the the file size will be large using that mode. Quality of both video and sound is greatly improved. Setting the format to .mp4 gives terrible results - screen freezes, sound breakup etc. I don't know why NCH doesn't make 'Fast Capture' the default.