Transition from Video Track 1 to 2 and back

KutWrite

Hi,

I have an existing video of a narrator. She wants to add her Powerpoint slides into the video, as the videographer didn't record them.

I converted her Powerpoint slides into still images. Now, I want to insert them each place where she talks about them. I don't want to interrupt her audio, so I split her audio and video, but I also don't want to get them out of sync. So, I created a video track 2 for the jpgs of her slides.

This is working fine, but instead of cutting between the slides and her video, I'd like to crossfade between the two... looks smoother and less "MTV."

Problem is, Videopad only seems to have transitions created OUT of a clip or image. Plus, I see the orange above Track 2, but it doesn't split the transition between 1 and 2, even if I select both. So, in playback, when I transition out of the first image, it fades out, but then cuts back in to her video on Track 1. There's no connection between the "out" point of the first slide and the beginning of her video on Track 1.

I figure if I can get this to work, I'll just split the video only on Track 1, each time I want to go into or out from an image. However, if I can't transition from 1 to 2 and back again, that would be wasted work. I don't want to fade out and cut in.

Is there a trick I don't see?

(I have a Mac mini running Mtn. Lion, and Videopad Version 3.83.)

Thanks!

Higher video tracks will overlay lower numbered tracks, so in your case the slides on track two will be seen only if their opacity is above zero. At 50% you would see both tracks one and two, equally. At 100% only track two.

Place the slides where desired on track two, then click the FX icon in one of the slide's clips on the timeline. Click the green + and click on TRANSPARENCY.

Set keyframes that approximate what is seen in the image here. Each dot (keyframe) can be dragged right/left, to change the fade up/out timing, and up/down to change opacity.

For more on keyframes check out this article.

Fade.jpg

Hi

Just to say that you don't need to split or unlink the audio of your narrator video on Track 1. This needs to stay in synch. Just add the image clips to the overlay track as stated. Thney will visually overwrite the main video but will not affect it or the soundtrack. Get them into position and adjust their duration to what you want and use the transparency effect to fade in/out as Borate suggests.

If you have a lot of slides then you can, once you have set up a suitable fadein/out shape, save it. (You may find it a phaff to keep on altering the preset one) so click the button with the diskette on it and save your effect as a template. This will now become one of the effects in the effects list and can be added to each slide without alteration.

Another option you might want to use if you have a lot of image clips and to save time is, once you have added them all to Video Track 2, group them together.(Note:This does not mean that they jump together and alter their position.)

Click the first side and press SHIFT down. Keep it down and click the last slide. They will all turn blue to show you have selected them. Keeping SHIFT pressed, right click one of the selected slides and take the top option "Group Selected Clips" The clips will now become grouped and clicking one will highlight the others, but note..if you move one you will move them ALL!

You can now add your effect to all the slides at once.

Click one of the FX slide buttons and then the Green cross in the effects window.

Select your effect..even the one you have created.(To be found in the Template section)

Once the selected effect pane comes up click the 7th button to the right.."Append effects chain to other selected clips"

This will put your selected effect (e.g. Fade in/out) on all your clips in one go.

Nat

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone (kutWrite, borate and Nationalsolo),  I have the exact same situation and requirement today as KuWrite back in 2015.  The new variables are: I'm using Video Pad ver. 7.02 installed today and Windows 10 kept up to-date.  I am not a professional in the area of video editing and while learning the software, I have used some of the basic function VPE.  I've kinda followed the suggestion made by the group.  I was wondering if the solution has changed or been simplified and if there is a how-to video.  Thanks to everyone for any assistance.

Peter D for the Italian Genealogical Group.

Hi

This is quite an old thread and it would be better perhaps  to start a new one. If you need  to refer back to this one you can always use a link to it. (Copy/Paste the URL into your post.) :)

With regard to the suggestions made, very little has changed. The advice above will still get you what you want. The original video with it's attached sound track is placed on the timeline.  If none of the video is required Video Track 1 can be  right clicked and unlinked from the audio. You can then click it again and Delete it. This will leave just the Audio Track..

Having loaded all the still images to VP they can be added to the empty Video Track 1 in the required places. You can  extended or shorten them to remove any gaps and if they are now continuous you can add transitions between them like Crossfade.

If you need to keep the original video then don't unlink it. Place your images on the overlay track (Video Track2) and drag them into position and extend or shorten them as required by pulling their ends in or out. Being on the upper video track they will play on top of (overlay) the original video on track 1. As they will now appear and disappear suddenly you will need to use the f tab on each clip to make them fade in and at the end you need to click the X and choose  Fade effect to create a fade-out.

That's the basic principle but things like using the FX Transparency effect and adapting the VP Preset Fade In and Out and applying this to all the image clips in one go requires a little more experience.

Nat

Hi everyone (kutWrite, borate and Nationalsolo),  I have the exact same situation and requirement today as KuWrite back in 2015.  The new variables are: I'm using Video Pad ver. 7.02 installed today and Windows 10 kept up to-date.  I am not a professional in the area of video editing and while learning the software, I have used some of the basic function VPE.  I've kinda followed the suggestion made by the group.  I was wondering if the solution has changed or been simplified and if there is a how-to video.  Thanks to everyone for any assistance.

Peter D for the Italian Genealogical Group.

Thanks Nat for your reply.  Is there a training video that shows how to perform those steps?  I fear that it would take me much time to figure out the process even with your description. Thanks again.  Peter D

If there are to be video clips that have unwanted audio, right-click them on the timeline and UNLINK.  Then delete the audio clips.

In the example below an song has been placed on the audio track.  The track can be locked with the lock icon at its left.  Once that's done, no video edits will affect it.

Note the three video clips on track one.  Because there are gaps between them, each has an f symbol and an X symbol.  To fade in a clip, click the f and set the duration.  To fade it out, click the X, choose FADE and set duration.

If the clips are contiguous (no gaps), only the first will have an f, to fade it in.  For subsequent clips, use the X and choose FADE, CROSSFADE or another transition.

If the video clips are to be seen over a background, place the background material on track 1.  If fades are desired, the inserted clips on track two can be handled as described above.  Wherever they are placed on track two, they will be seen in place of the background or, in the case of text, superimposed because higher tracks overlay (take precedence) over lower tracks.  Check out the many VP tutorials here.

VP_transition_1_to_2.jpg

Just a quick reply to say thank you for your help, especially Borate's last reply.  I was successful in in finishing my project using a slightly different approach.  I created a recording of the PP slides with slide advances at "My Click" not a set time.  I used a second screen to watch the video presenter's video at the podium.  And a third screen to view the next slide in the presentation so that I knew when to advance to the next slide.  I then used picture - in - picture (scaling, motion, cropping) to arrange presenter at the podium and the slide presentation.  Again, Thanks for your help.  I'm going to start another topic "Audio Overlay" asking for some guidance.