Link audio track to video

Dazzray

There is an option in VP to unlink an audio track from its video track... is there a way to do the reverse (link audio to video)? That would be quite nice to have, to prevent accidentally moving the audio out of sync with video.

• 4 years later...

So, neither of these solutions is actually a solution.

Consider: you record a video from a video camera that gives you a nice sharp video along with its annoyingly bad audio. Call this Video A and Audio A. You add a single .mp4 file that contains both of them, linked. At the same time you record beautiful bell-clear audio via a microphone into an audio file. Call this Audio B. You add this to your project as an mp3 file. What you want on your output is sharp video (Video A) and bell-clear audio (Audio B).

So, you

1) Drag the mp4 clip into your sequence.

2) unlink Audio A from Video A .

3) delete Audio A, leaving Video A in the sequence.

4) drag the MP3 audio clip into your sequence and align it with video A

Now if you try to export the video, Videopad 8.60 merrily exports the video only, no sound, apparently because the audio is unlinked, and the file is u recognizeable to Quicktime. (I've spent the last two days trying to debug why my video has no sound, and this appears to be it. I could be wrong.)

5) So you click "Restore Linked Audio", and it adds a second audio track  containing Audio A -- the annoyingly bad audio that was originally linked to your video.

6) So instead, you try selecting Video A and Audio B. This does not recreate the link/unlink button that used to appear next to the sound icon on the audio clip, and when you export the video, you still get no sound.

Does anyone know if it's actually possible to LINK new improved imported audio with an existing video clip?

You have tacked on to an old thread;  best to start anew with a descriptive subject.

There should be no issue with what you are attempting.  You can select the clips and group them, but not link.

Install this VP release which, even if unlicensed, may solve the problem.  Some features and export formats may be unavailable at the outset or after the trial ends.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If still no go, please share the video and audio files.  Upload them to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared, non-restricted, public link and post it here or in private.

Someone will check it out.

I believe pmcleanj explained his problem quite eloquently. There obviously is an issue rather than "there should be no issue". They simply want to use a microphone track instead of the camera recording, which should be a simple procedure in video editing and without having to buy upgrades. The 'solutions' offered here, do not help and they don't justify why a paid Videopad version fails to export a simple replacement soundtrack in a VP project. The procedure has worked for me, on and off, but it all depends on the myriad bugs affecting every version of VP. Are we buying a functioning one-off product, or renting it?

Constant bugs in the software: "buy an upgrade" and it's magically fixed. I'm beginning to understand what is going on here. 

Upgrades are free for up to six-months after purchase - a reasonably generous policy.  There are usually several releases within that time period.

If there is an issue with the simple pairing described by pmcleanj then something is amiss.

Submit the samples and it will be tracked down.  Verified bugs are dealt with quickly, and users who discover them may receive a gratis license.

Just spotted this post. Stop with the excuses already. I can assure you that if I pay for a product then it should work without problems, otherwise I'll consider it a breach of trust. "Upgrades are free for up to six-months after purchase" ; nothing "generous" about that at all. Does anyone pay for Windows updates because the software is always faulty? No they don't. NCH state a price and we buy Videopad - once. As has already been pointed out: we bought Videopad, we didn't rent it. So...paid or rented - which is it? When the software doesn't do its job, that's a breach of contract. When Videopad stops working because we haven't bought an upgrade: that would be a confidence trick. And why would you even think we have time to submit samples? Most of us are working people, videographers expecting the Videopad we've paid for, to work and do what it claims to do, every single time. This forum is a merry-go-round of flannel.

We keep seeing the same lame and trite excuses every time. I think it's time this went to a higher authority.

Windows 8 had a failure of a built-in legacy app that, despite a fix posted by users to MS forums, wasn't corrected for over a year.   Windows 10 had a similar failure that took months to set straight.  Those products are extensively beta tested.  Videopad never ceases to function because an upgrade isn't purchased.

Other NLEs may be offered only by subscription or have a one-year update-for-pay model.  They often come with a steep learning curve.

The VP update cycle, adding enhancements for its target market, is short, limiting beta testing.  Developers address issues promptly and when one is identified a release within the six-month license grace period usually remedies it.   A 64-bit version is in the works, which should solve memory limitations with high-res, lengthy projects.

With rare exception, folks who contribute to this forum are primarily users, helping out.  So move on to your app of choice and please take your off-topic venting elsewhere.

My posts seem on topic to everyone but you. 'Off topic' to you because you were challenged to answer questions, and you will not, or can't. Your answer is crystal. It says more about you and NCH Software than anything else. You mean we can't tell the truth about our experiences with Videopad here. In other parts of the forum it's crystal clear that Videopad is full of bugs. You admit it.

Are you also intimating that I am not a genuine user, I'm lying ? Try me. 

I'm sorry, apparently I'm supposed to wax lyrically and praise Videopad for you. How is telling the truth and sharing genuine experiences, not "helping out"? Maybe you should take the easy way out and ban me, that would be more convenient.

Nothing you wrote there addresses my post, and you are telling registered customers to go elsewhere and use different software because Videopad doesn't work, and you don't like what they tell you. You're stonewalling a paying customer and maybe you even think you can get away with it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of bugs, I paid €100 for a package consisting of Video Pad and Debut just three days ago. I have just found that it is disabling Adobe Acrobat Reader that I have used for years!! Once VP and Debut are closed, Acrobat is happy and works normally. It's BAD to face such a bug after just three days and paying a third of my monthly pension to acquire what I thought was going to be good and give me lots of happy hours in retirement. I saw immediately that one is asked to pay yet more for support. That really isn't fair. I do agree with Ed UK.  NCH do appear to be somewhat cavalier.

• borate changed the title to Link audio track to video

Thank you. I have installed and tried Foxit and this works OK. I have submitted a query to the link you supplied. I assume that such a problem will be attended to even though I have not paid for technical support as it appears to be a defect from the outset? I am used to Adobe so do not like having the change of reader forced on me.

pmcleanj & everyone else, I just tried and followed your exact instructions and I had no problem with replacing a MP3 with the original video audio (Audio A from Video A). What you are saying could not possibly be true because then that would make it impossible for people to add music to their videos which is a common feature in all video apps. I even tried every combination, deleting original clip first (Audio A from Video A), adding MP3 first, etc. I even added my MP3 on top of Audio A from Video A (replaced) and it worked fine. The only thing that I could not do was to delete the whole entire original audio track (Audio A from Video A). You can delete the clip, but you cannot delete the audio track without first putting some other audio track in first. VP has to have an audio track in the sequence list at all times. So yeh, in all circumstances, there is no possible way that you can have a MP3 in an audio track and it not be exported in the mix. Unless you have it on mute, then it is impossible for there to be no audio in the export.

Hi

No good getting in a huff with this procedure......:o:)

"....Consider: you record a video from a video camera that gives you a nice sharp video along with its annoyingly bad audio. Call this Video A and Audio A..You add a single .mp4 file that contains both of them, linked ..."

I have quite a few of these when I film my orchestra playing...:)

"..... At the same time you record beautiful bell-clear audio via a microphone into an audio file. Call this Audio B. ......"

Also have a separate reasonable audio recording of the same performance converted to mp3...

".....You add this to your project as an mp3 file. What you want on your output is sharp video (Video A) and bell-clear audio (Audio B). ...."

Right....... lets call them Good Video.....Poor Audio and Good Audio

• Place your Good video on Video Track 1.....Poor audio appears on Audio Track 1 as they are linked....
  • aaa.jpg
  •  
  • Add the Good Audio recording (mp3) to Audio Track 2 and then synch the Audio tracks......
  •  
  • ccc.jpg
  •  
  • Now simply Mute the Poor Audio and export the project.
  • OR
  • Unlink the Poor Audio,  delete it and then export but the above is simpler.

Either way the Good audio is exported with the Good Video. Can't see the problem with this. :mellow:

Nat

Great visual explanation Nationalsolo. 🖕

I have just one question. How do you embed jpegs into the comments like you just did above? I tried using the link button, but it only displays the address of the link and not the image itself. I'm assuming your using some code.

I even tried the img src code, but I can't get it to work.

Idk....😕

Hi Ralph53

Adding images to a post was part of normal forum use.  Unfortunately some users abused this feature and it was consequently removed. You can however upload an image to a host site and post the link on the forum which is what users do now. Annoying but that's life. :(

Nat