How to alternate between synced videos (like if doing a Music DVD)

stevet91

Is this possible? I do drum kit covers for Youtube but thus far have only ever used one camera angle. I have also had another video running over the top in the corner of the intial video before.

Now I want to be able to alternate between two main angles as I please. Is this possible?? So both would be synced with the audio and I can just just go between both videos as I please. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One approach would be to have each camera's full video on its own track. Higher tracks take precedence over lower tracks, so the camera that's on track 2 will be seen.

On track 2, split and delete the parts that you don't want visible. Those are the areas where track 1 will be visible. If there are dupe audio tracks, mute one of them.

Hi

Assuming both videos were recorded at the same time then you will only need to use one of the audio tracks. Put the first video on the main track and the second video on the overlay track.

If they are slightly different then you can bring them together by simply listening to the audio and adjusting the position of one of the videos slightly so the audio synchronises. (You will hear both audio tracks but only see the overlay track at this point.

Once you have the audio tracks playing as one, then mute one of them.

Now you can split the overlay track where you wish and remove sections so the main video track appears at these points. (Don't close the gaps) With a bit of patience you can dissolve in the edges of the overlay clips to produce a smooth transition between both filming positions. Save the project at various times with different names so you can return if you make a mess of it.

Nat

Hi

Assuming both videos were recorded at the same time then you will only need to use one of the audio tracks. Put the first video on the main track and the second video on the overlay track.

If they are slightly different then you can bring them together by simply listening to the audio and adjusting the position of one of the videos slightly so the audio synchronises. (You will hear both audio tracks but only see the overlay track at this point.

Once you have the audio tracks playing as one, then mute one of them.

Now you can split the overlay track where you wish and remove sections so the main video track appears at these points. (Don't close the gaps) With a bit of patience you can dissolve in the edges of the overlay clips to produce a smooth transition between both filming positions. Save the project at various times with different names so you can return if you make a mess of it.

Nat

I should mention the audio will be seperate to the cameras i.e I am recording the audio and then syncing it, does this affect anything? Thanks for the replies

One approach would be to have each camera's full video on its own track. Higher tracks take precedence over lower tracks, so the camera that's on track 2 will be seen.

On track 2, split and delete the parts that you don't want visible. Those are the areas where track 1 will be visible. If there are dupe audio tracks, mute one of them.

I should mention the audio will be seperate to the cameras i.e I am recording the audio and then syncing it, does this affect anything? Thanks for the replies

I should mention the audio will be separate to the cameras i.e I am recording the audio and then syncing it, does this affect anything?

Not as far as how video is handled. But, unless the cameras and the audio device were sync-locked during record you may find that they do not precisely track one another on playback. THAT can be a real hassle.

Hi

A separate audio track may have its problems. For example I filmed myself playing a violin piece with a piano accompaniment, but the piano part set up as a MIDI file and was playing through earphones via the PC. In some ways it was like a live performance but being driven by the MIDI piano part. (Filming and playing with the MIDI part through speakers didn't sound right.) The video obviously only recorded the violin part. Despite both the violin and MIDI having been played together, once on their separate tracks and with the start synchronised it was obvious that the MIDI recording was slightly different for some reason than the violin part and gradually got out of synch with the violin. It meant that I had to split the audio track where there were silences in the piano part, pulling the track back or forward a tiny amout to resynch it. Just for fun I added images of the sections of the music being played at the top of the screen .....couldn't make a karyoke ball dance along with the notes though. :)

It's something similar that you may have to do. As you have two videos you shouldn't have to split or move the soundtrack.

At the points that you change camera angles (Video track 1 and Video track 2) by cutting out the overlay track sections to reveal the main track, you can easily (relatively anyway) resynch the main track by dragging a section of it along to the correct position.

It's pretty logical once you get going as you may have to chop the main track also to create a gap to move it left into. Fading in and out the overlay sections will also disguise any out of synch bits. It will work with care. I've done this with my local orchestra using two cameras.

Best of luck

Nat

Despite both the violin and MIDI having been played together, once on their separate tracks and with the start synchronised it was obvious that the MIDI recording was slightly different for some reason than the violin part and gradually got out of synch with the violin.

Any idea why this should happen?

I notice this happens with my webcams too - sometimes it all goes back into sync too which is weird.

Is it VideoPad or some other anomaly (in which case how do they ever make movies where the audio is shot separately - yes, I know they don't use VP to shoot Star Wars).

I've briefly looked at that 'insight' and realised there's a lot going on. I shall re-read in depth at my leisure as I have a vested interest in keeping my sources synced. Thanks for the link, appreciated.

I'm using OBS Studio for capture in real-time and VP for post production editing but by the time it hits VP it's all a bit late to realise that sound has not synced properly with one or two of my cameras. At best it's sometimes possible to unlink the audio and remove either a few frames of video or ditto for audio and get it back in sync but it's hardly studio standard behaviour.

It just makes you realise how much is going on for a simple outside broadcast of a few minutes!