CALCULATE VIDEO BITRATE AUTOMATICALLY

DonH

In the bitrate settings when I select "Calculate bitrate automatically to fit your video on a DVD disc", the Writing to Disc finishes and I get the message -

"The DVD -R has a capacity of 4.5 GB and you are trying to write 5.5 GB. please insert a larger capacity disc or try fewer files"

I thought the program would automatically alter the Bitrate setting to fit the video onto the disc.

Am I right in thinking this?

I too am getting a message "The DVD-R has a capacity of 4488.06MB and you are trying to write 5671.65MB. Please insert a larger capacity disc, or try fewer files." This message appears AFTER significant time invested in rendering (old PC is slow) and seems to happen just before the DVD write occurs.

a) My video amounts to 1 hour and 28 minutes, per the timeline (what is DVD capacity in minutes at highest quality?)

B) Calculate bitrate automatically is set to on.

Comments/suggsions:

a) message should appear before rendering, not after.

B) Capacity should be referenced as time, bitrate, as well as MB.

Ideas/help?

•  

The actual size of the output can only be obtained after the video is encoded. The output size for each frame are different depend on the complexity of the scene.

Automatic bitrate calculation is an estimation for average videos. If that doesn't work you'll have to set the bitrate manually. Also there is no way to compute actual output size without doing the compression.

The manual bitrate setting is a dropdown list. I'd welcome some guidelines as to what will happen with various bitrate settings. Specifically, what is the relationship to maximum bitrate in terms of DVD quality and what is the impact of maximum average bitrate?

TNX

The drop-down list includes some of the common used presets. You can see them as quality settings form low to high. You can also type in whatever number.

Bitrate settings have direct impact on output quality. However the quality may various for different video even they use the same bitrate settings. It depends on how complex and how much motion in the scene. If you interested in details you can search for words like "variable bitrate", "dvd bitrate calculator" on the internet.

For my own experience, it required a bit trail and error to get a good result. I would suggest select a few minutes of the typical scene in the video and try with a few different settings to see if they look alright. Multiply the time to estimate the file size and allow some extra space.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the insights regarding bitrate -- I'll be doing my Internet homework.

I'd offer a suggestion regarding the error message ... additional information, like the calculated average bitrate and the maximum bitrate used for the VOB that's too big could provide some insight into the "best" manual settings. If those values in VP are available after rendering, could they be made available as part of the error message? Or as entries in the "advanced" tab for DVD Movie export?

TNX