Hard drive space: App Data

TVZ

I see that under my Windows "AppData", "NCH Software is taking up 3 GB on my hard drive. Also, something called "NCH Swift Sound" is taking up 2.5 GB. I am not currently in the middle of any projects. I'd like to free up this hard drive space if it's not needed. Shall I delete the contents? Is this just temporary files for Express Scribe?

Thanks...

• 4 months later...

The above "solution" is typical. The solution is given without any kind of explanation and leaves you unable to follow it because there are no instructions. I need to delete files from the folder on my computer. I can't even find that folder never mind delete endless gigs that I didn't even know were being stored. Why can't techs give step by step useful answers to us?

When you load an audio file into ExpressScribe it does not copy the original file per se, but converts and loads into an uncompressed version of wav called "DCT"; I make a habit of using control delete within the ExpressScribe window when I am finished with my transcription, which will completely delete that dct/wav file, and ensure that the files don't accumulate and eat up my hard drive, even if there's little threat of that. Of course, the larger the original compressed file-- mp3, mp4, wmv, etc.-- the proportionately larger the uncompressed file will be. .

Otherwise, you should be able to find those files in Windows at

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Scribe\Current

if you just press "Done" the files are not deleted from the hdd unless you specify a number of days in the Scribe settings. You should be able to find those undeleted files in

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Scribe\Done

Hope that helps explain a bit more. KRN