Insert an image on a track

gaab

I find it difficult to insert an new image in the middle of an almost finished diaporama with a music track.

Selecting and dragging all the images after the insertion point to create enough space is difficult and hazardous !

One have to be very careful not to split the audio track (which in case of a diaporama is not linked to a specific image).

I am missing a command "insert in track at cursor", same idea than close gap in track.

May be I don't use the right procedure ?

Any "how to" will be very welcome.

You said right-click ? Where do you right-click ?

1 - starting situation : sound track locked (and unlink of course - they were never linked : it is a sequence of images !)

- insert position selected (shift-right to ensure proper clip alignement)

Insert_on_track1.jpg

2 - right click on the selected image on the bin - it is not possible to "right drag"...

Insert_on_track2.jpg

3 - Place on sequence is the only meaningful choice for what we are trying to do

Insert_on_track3.jpg

4 - The result is not what I expect....

Insert_on_track4.jpg

If I make a drag and drop on the track, whatever key I press (shift, alt) I get an overwrite....

A better advice ?

First UNlink all A/V in the track.

Lock the audio track.

Choose the insertion point and create a single video-track split there.

Right-click the new image in the media bin and a menu appears.

Choose "place on sequence." Another menu appears.

Choose "place cursor on new track." The new item will appear just above the next lower-numbered track.

Place the pointer within the original clip (below the new clip) while holding down <alt>...

Drag it to the right, to the end of the new clip (visible on the track just above). The original clip should snap into place where the new clip ends.

Drag the insert track into the hole created by the original material, if you wish.

Result is a video insertion that has no effect on audio. The original video resumes where it left off prior to the insertion.

Hi Borate

Your method will result in the image being moved overwriting the image to its right. True, it wont cut the audio track and the moved slide will "snap" leaving a gap in the video track to be filled by the inserted slide.

You will have to link all the images to the right of the insert point using Shift before you can move the track to the right keeping Shift down. However, athough this highlights and moves all the slides selected they now don't "snap" to the end of the insert slide on track 2 at the first pass. So drag them past, release and then drag them back. They now "snap."

Simple insert is probably better even though the audio is split.

Jump cursor to the insert point using >II or II<.

Select slide to insert from media list and add to the sequence at the cursor position.

Close the gap created in the audio track.

Nat

Place the pointer within the original clip (below the new clip) while holding down <alt>...

Drag it to the right, to the end of the new clip (visible on the track just above). The original clip should snap into place where the new clip ends.

Insert_on_track5.jpg

Still not giving the expected result !!!! - The original clip overlays the next one, when I expect that all the clips at the right move to give space to the new one...

Insert_on_track6.jpg

Maybe you should ;) also check your advices before publishing...

I think that the "insert in track" command is really necessary !

You will have to link all the images to the right of the insert point using Shift before you can move the track to the right keeping Shift down. However, athough this highlights and moves all the slides selected they now don't "snap" to the end of the insert slide on track 2 at the first pass. So drag them past, release and then drag them back. They now "snap."

Simple insert is probably better even though the audio is split.

Jump cursor to the insert point using >II or II<.

Select slide to insert from media list and add to the sequence at the cursor position.

Close the gap created in the audio track.

Nat

Thanks, this works.

Also selecting with shift all the images to the right, simply dragging and snapping to the right of the new clip works.

Selecting with shift all the right clip range may sometime need to change zoom level depending on the number of images...

Thanks for this much simpler solution.

Maybe you should ;) also check your advices before publishing...

Those steps appeared to succeed, as tested repeatedly. However, on subsequent tries it was necessary to first select the clips that were to be moved, then it was a simple drag - no key presses.

Perhaps the clips had been selected, and I didn't notice. So, pretty much Nat's suggestions.