Clip or Sequence editing

gaab

I am making progress with VideoPad :) but I don't find any answer on this topic (neither in the Help, nor on the forum...).

Could you give some more in detail info on editing clips in "Clip Preview" versus "Sequence Preview" windows : why, when, pros and cons - I am still very confused, specially as I did not found how to know that the sequence clip as been modified and thus is different from the bin clip...

Gérard

Hi

Editing in Clip preview.

Left clicking the clic in the media list will open it in the Clip Preview window. You can now move the cursor line or play the clip to the point where you wish to start your edit. Click the IN marker button. The IN marker (red) is set at the cursor. Move the cursor line to the end of your edit and click the OUT marker button. The blue OUT marker is set at the cursor line. The selected section is now highlighted in the thumbnails under the window.

Click the green down arrow to place your selection on the sequence line. Now the the display now becomes the Sequence Preview.

The clip in the media list now retains the IN/OUT points and in effect remains the same as the selection you added to the sequence line. However you can RESELECT IT from the media list when it will appear once more in the Clip preview window with your IN/OUT selections. You can reset the IN/OUT points to different values or return the clip to its original length by sliding both points to their respective starting positions. The section that you placed on the sequence line is not changed by this and will retain the IN/OUT values you originally set.

Note that every time you change the IN/OUT markers or select to Clip Preview the green down arrow appears as this will enable you to place your selection on the sequence line.

In the previous versions of VP before 4.11 you could also edit in this way using Sequence preview screen but this now seems to have been discontinued as it led to complications. The sequence preview screen is just that.

Editing in Sequence Preview

You can edit the sequence line directly by placing (dragging) the red cursor line (or playing the sequence) to the start of your edit (or end of your edit) and then using the split button. This is followed by moving the cursor line to a different part of the sequence and splitting the sequence a second time. The section between the cuts is then deleted leaving a gap. You can click on the gap and select to close it from the menu. The sequence preview is used to determine the positions of your edit points.

The two cuts can be done in any order. This a more intuative way to edit your film..very similar to cutting and splicing real film. Note that if your edits are done on either side of a join you will create two "pieces" of film to be removed as the join is aready in effect a "cut"

Unlike editing in Clip preview where your IN/OUT points are retained by the media list clip until you change them, the media list clip in this case remains in it's original state.

Both methods are equally effective but editing in Clip Preview would allow you to add multiple edits of the clip one after the other simply by reselecting the clip and pressing the green down arrow. etc.

Nat

Have you looked here: http://help.nchsoftw...lippreview.html

Do you think it make sense?

I realize that we are not on the same line :( - I don't have any problem concerning cutting bin clips or sequence clips.

Before asking a question, I always try as much as possible, to find if it has already been answered. I always read the guides or helps.

My question was specifically targetted to effects. I find confusing to apply effects to the bin clip, then apply new effets on the sequence. It may make sense (specially for Color Correction) to apply some to the bin clip, then apply other type of effects (i.g Motion & Transforms, Blending) to the sequence clip.

In order to check what is appening, I made a test :

- on clip bin = effect temperature (-11.00)

- on sequence = I added a zoom effect (the previous effect temperature is listed), then I modified the temperature value.

If I go back to the bin clip I only have the effect temperature to the value set to -11, which is great, but the title of the effect windows don't show if we are looking at a bin clip or a sequence clip, nor that the bin clip as already been used. This may lead (in a real project) to errors and incertainty - you may have forgotten that the clip as already been used on the timeline.

Continuing my tests, I noticed that once on the sequence line, a modification of the bin clip when there is no modification on the sequence clip, is not propagated... I was expecting exactly the contrary !!! Thus my questions :o

For all these reasons, there should be a clear indication (on the bin list may be), that a clip as been used (once or more) on a sequence, same on the effect screen (bin - bin already used - sequence clip).

Concerning these topics, I don't see anything in the documentation...

A great feature would be to have a printed report of the "montage". It would help reviewing the "cuts" after production.

As well, it could be usefull to be able to cleanup the project from the unused clips before backup.

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the confusion I created with my initial question.

Gérard

PS: When should be available the (missing) "show video quality and stabilization settings dialog" mentionned in Options/Media

but the title of the effect windows don't show if we are looking at a bin clip or a sequence clip, nor that the bin clip as already been used

We've aware of this usability issue. We are working on a solution that integrates the effects window in the main window (no popup).

Continuing my tests, I noticed that once on the sequence line, a modification of the bin clip when there is no modification on the sequence clip, is not propagated... I was expecting exactly the contrary !!!

That's a good point. I've filed this as a suggestion to the team.

Concerning these topics, I don't see anything in the documentation...

Sometimes documentation update delays since the features are in changing.

A great feature would be to have a printed report of the "montage". It would help reviewing the "cuts" after production.

As well, it could be usefull to be able to cleanup the project from the unused clips before backup.

We are working on adding mask/icons on the clip thumbnail to indicates its states, for example:

• The clip is added to the sequence
  • The clip has effects applied

This change will apply to both Media(Bin) clips and Sequence clips. You can easily see if a Media clip has been added to the sequence in the project window.

We are working on adding mask/icons on the clip thumbnail to indicates its states, for example:

• The clip is added to the sequence
  • The clip has effects applied

This change will apply to both Media(Bin) clips and Sequence clips. You can easily see if a Media clip has been added to the sequence in the project window.

You mean will see ? Or is there a project window other than the main window in 4.11 I am not aware of ?

Thanks for your answers - I am looking forward for next update :)