Caller ID

Guest jafang

Guest jafang

Hi Guys..

The caller ID on the phone shows

650-253-0000

the IVM caller ID Announce it as

is there a way to put a dash between the numbers like this 650-253-0000 or to put a comma to delay.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The phone number is 11 separate digits 6-5-0-2-5-3-1-2-1-2 not a single number such as six billion five hundred and two million five hundred thirty one thousand two hundred and twelve.

Having this announced is worthless. By the time I figure out what number just dialed from across the room, the caller has already left a message and moved on. With having the dashes work as seperation, there is a fighting chance that we can understand the number. I personally just turn it off all together and use a seperate speaking caller ID box designed to announce the number correctly.

CID is formated for reading not speaking. I understand the complexity of seperating numbers from names to announce correctly, so I assume this was just an extra feature somebody through in and is not a key feature. However, a little effort to confront this issue would have been nice.

No you cannot change it  - why do you want to?

The phone number is 11 separate digits 6-5-0-2-5-3-1-2-1-2 not a single number such as six billion five hundred and two million five hundred thirty one thousand two hundred and twelve.

Having this announced is worthless. By the time I figure out what number just dialed from across the room, the caller has already left a message and moved on. With having the dashes work as seperation, there is a fighting chance that we can understand the number. I personally just turn it off all together and use a seperate speaking caller ID box designed to announce the number correctly.

CID is formated for reading not speaking. I understand the complexity of seperating numbers from names to announce correctly, so I assume this was just an extra feature somebody through in and is not a key feature. However, a little effort to confront this issue would have been nice.

OK - I see your problem. Do you recognize the customer by the Caller-ID? If so there are a couple of ways to work around this.

Let me know and I'll see if I can help

alan@norstarservice.com

THe problem is with the text-to-speech engine and how it reads nmbers. you are probably using the default Microsoft text-to-speech engine. Uninstall it and try another.

Don

• 4 weeks later...
No you cannot change it  - why do you want to?

There's nothing wrong with the Microsoft text-to-speech. If I give it a number

(123) 456-7890, it will recognize that this is a phone number and say, "Area code one, two, three.... four, five, six.... seven, eight, nine, zero."

If I give it 123-456-7890, it reads, "One, two three.... four, five, six.... seven, eight, nine, zero."

If I give it 1234567890 (the format of Caller ID in the U.S.), it reads, "one billion, two hundred thirty four million,...."

IVM simply needs to a quick check (and change, if necessary) of the number format before handing it off to the text-to-speech.

There's nothing wrong with the Microsoft text-to-speech. If I give it a number

(123) 456-7890, it will recognize that this is a phone number and say, "Area code one, two, three.... four, five, six.... seven, eight, nine, zero."

If I give it 123-456-7890, it reads, "One, two three.... four, five, six.... seven, eight, nine, zero."

If I give it 1234567890 (the format of Caller ID in the U.S.), it reads, "one billion, two hundred thirty four million,...."

IVM simply needs to a quick check (and change, if necessary)  of the number format before handing it off to the text-to-speech.

Thanks for providing a great summary of the problem and how NCH can fix it in a future release. Has this been filed as a suggestion?

FYI, I tried a different text-to-speech engine that did a find job of reading the numbers correctly, but it then did a horrible job of all other text.

It would be nice if the Microsoft engine had an option for reading numbers as a "full" number or as "digits".