Error

Pter59

Hi All. Am new to EI and have an apparent error. A client has invoices totaling $427.50 and has made payments of $365.00 with $62.50 still to pay. When I run the statement for period from 1 Jan this year it shows $72.50 outstanding. Any ideas.

What version of EI are you using? Are you working from the main computer or the web access?

Double check your payments for the customer to make sure they were applied properly. Is it possible it took $10 of the payments and applied it to another invoice of theirs? EI can be tricky when applying payments, especially when they are applied to invoices that are out of order, as when a customer pays a newer invoice before an older one for some reason.

Did you start before Jan 1 of this year? If so, try running a statement from when you started to see a longer history of credits and debits to their account.

From the main computer, go to the customer profile and click on the INFO tab. This will show you what the current customer balance is. Does this agree with the statement?

Are you sure all of the payments were entered correctly? Did an operator error occur?

Hope this helps!

I am running version 4.05 from the main computer. It's a not for profit kids sporting club. I will review all of the payments related to that customer for what you've said and see how I go. It is more that likely operator error. If a person makes an unallocated payment and i ater create a newer invoice and don't apply the payment could that affect it also?

I will have to check each individual payment. The year to date statement shows the total payments of -$365 and total invoices $427.50 and the balance $72.50 or should I say the out of balance. I'll check and report. Thanks Teri.

I have found that sometimes EI seems to have some bizarre behavior. I wonder if somehow this customer started with a balance other than zero? When you looked at the INFO tab, was there anything in the beginning balance field?

If it is zero, you'll probably have to contact support for this.

Bizarre behaviour with a capital B. By fluke I have managed to correct the issue. The opening balance showed as $0.00 so I changed that to $10.00 and checked the statement which now showed correct amounts. I then changed the opening balance back to zero and checked the statement again and it was correct. No further issues.

Thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me. I really like Express Invoice, but it does have some bizarre behavior. Sometimes in my office we'll just scratch our heads wondering if we did something or if EI went bonkers again. But it's affordable, does a decent job, and is one of the few options out there for a Mac.