adjusting colors

kazmand

Hello everybody,

I am new to Videopad. Recently, I have encountered a problem.

I filmed a discussion with 2 different cameras and when i combined them in the same video - it looked very inconsistent and unprofessional.

I tried to play with colors and brightness effects to make it look similar, but it only made it worse.

Can you give me any suggestion how to make them look as close as possible? Maybe there is some automatic tool that can do this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Dmitri

Hi

If it a matter of colours/contrast and brightness then I think the best way to match the clips is to preview them side by side.It's difficult if you are guessing by eye. (but see alternative method at bottom)

If we want to match Clip 1 with Clip 2, place Clip 1 on Video Track 1 and Clip 2 on Video Track 2 (the overlay track) but move it so it is above Clip1. Put the red cursor in the centre of the two clips. Note that Clip 2 the one you are matching to will cover up Clip1 at this point.

Now select Clip 2 and click the effects button (marked FX) Click "Add effect" and select the Crop effect. Change the x1% to 50% and then click "Apply."

On returning the the main screen you should now see both clips 1/2 and 1/2. side by side

Select FX for Clip 1 and choose the color effects. Depending on what the difference is you should now be able to match the colours; contrast etc. of Clip 1 so it matches with Clip 2. Being side by side comparing the two clips is far easier.

Obviously, if you need to match Clip 2 to Clip 1, then that's the one to go on the main video track.

Once you have matched Clip 1 as close as you can get to Clip2 , just set the Clip 2 crop x1% value back to 100, "Apply" and pull the clip back onto the main track.

An alternative (which won't always work, particularly if the clips are very dark) is to select the "Auto Levels" effect. And apply to all the clips concerned.

Nat

Hi

Applying auto levels tries to give your clip optimum brightness and contrast. If the image is a little dark it will brighten it up and do the same if it is too bright, thus evening out differences in exposure between clips. Weaker colours in an slightly overexposed clip may also appear better. It doesn't work miracles however...if you apply auto levls effect to a clip with a fade or one that is very dark it will attempt to make these areas too bright with the result that the image will become very noisy and blotchy.

Nat

Hello everybody,

I am new to Videopad. Recently, I have encountered a problem.

I filmed a discussion with 2 different cameras and when i combined them in the same video - it looked very inconsistent and unprofessional.

I tried to play with colors and brightness effects to make it look similar, but it only made it worse.

Can you give me any suggestion how to make them look as close as possible? Maybe there is some automatic tool that can do this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Dmitri

There is no tools for making all the pieces of videos look the same.

You can use such coloring grade software as Blackmagic DaVinci or Adobe SpeedGrade because they have feature to copy/paste settings.

So you can adjust coloiring settings for one piece and after that apply to other pieces.

Also, you make take final cut of your video.

Export it to jpeg pictures.

Load to software such as Adobe LightRoom and adjust each photos by automating with ACTIONS

After that you can glue up pictures back to video and get cool professional look like in movies.

Videopad it a very weak software for coloring videos professionaly.

PS. And autolevels it NOT a feature to make all incoming videos look the same. It is just a stupid alorithm for increasing dinamic range in each of RGB channels.

If you do tweak a clip to your satisfaction using the VIDEO EFFECTS tools, you can save those settings...

FILE menu|SAVE EFFECT CHAIN TO FILE.

To apply to another clip, In the VIDEO EFFECTS window click FILE|LOAD EFFECT CHAIN FROM FILE.

If you do tweak a clip to your satisfaction using the VIDEO EFFECTS tools, you can save those settings...

FILE menu|SAVE EFFECT CHAIN TO FILE.

To apply to another clip, In the VIDEO EFFECTS window click FILE|LOAD EFFECT CHAIN FROM FILE.

This is a great feature!

We use it not for ajusting colors for many pieces of videos, but as always ready preset for some frequently used combinations