video clip length

dinwitty

Hi

I am currently working with a analogue>digital copy of a VHS video tape. This is an .avi of 740 megs (0.74 Giga bytes) and has a duration of 47 minutes. This loads and plays with no problems in VP 4.58.

Is it the size of your .avi that is causing the problem?

Try loading the avi and then clearing the cache of unused files and then see what happens.

Any chance of trying a 20 minute .avi with a smaller size and seeing if that plays to the end?

Nat

This problem only happens with OpenDML extension, which is not completely supported by Microsoft.

We've recently upgraded related components and presumably the issue is fixed.

@CJPG7: Is it possible the share the file(via Google Drive, One Drive etc.) to us so we can have a close look?

We just purchased the most recent version of VideoPad (ver. 4.56) in an effort to edit down a couple of decades worth of family videos. The videos of various lengths are all .vob format. We have spent the last two hours trying to open the videos in VideoPad but they are only loading a short snippet of each video no matter what we try to do. We have verified the video length in the original folders and are able to open the entire video in other viewing programs but in VideoPad it's just a short clip. What are we missing?

Best to start a new topic with descriptive subject. The latest is 4.58. Get it here, and see if the result is the same.

If no change, can you upload one of the VOBs to a server, such as DropBox, GoogleDRIVE, MS OneDrive, etc. and link it here? Someone will check it out.

I just started a new topic with the issue. The above link for the latest 4.58 version is for Windows. I neglected to mention that we are running OS X El Capitan and unless a new version was released since this morning, we should be on the most recent version for Macs.

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2016 at 6:27 AM, Maarit said:

We just purchased the most recent version of VideoPad (ver. 4.56) in an effort to edit down a couple of decades worth of family videos. The videos of various lengths are all .vob format. We have spent the last two hours trying to open the videos in VideoPad but they are only loading a short snippet of each video no matter what we try to do. We have verified the video length in the original folders and are able to open the entire video in other viewing programs but in VideoPad it's just a short clip. What are we missing?

Hi Maarit,

I suggest you to download the free version of Prism from NCH Software's official website and try the "Add DVD" button to load the whole DVD. Then in the main window you can play each vob as you like.

Why do this?

• vob files are a bit special in that they normally are in DVD discs. Some information like video duration are not stored in .vob itself but in .ifo files. So to read them correctly, not only the .vob file itself, but also the other files on the disc should be loaded. 
  • Prism and VideoPad use same codec sets. So if Prism can play correctly/show correct duration by using the "Add DVD" button, that proves the issue in VP is caused by not loading other files from DVD disc.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I'm back, as far as I can tell the video format is the standard Video for Windows, the editor outputs that, the input video I edit from comes from the frame capture software and the editor I am using can use it. I will check and try the latest version. I can't use the current editor as it would only create mobs of files I have to edit thru.Videopad can clip away like mad. I tried to figure out if it could output the frame grabber avi, but no luck. If you need some technical details it shows I will send that up, but again as far as I can tell, its standard video for windows format AVI.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

im am  having the same problem the video has previously been edited from 18 hours into 26 mins and i usually do two edits of all videos i've done this lots of times with video pad with no problems i am on the latest version and the  video is accumulating to hours worth more than the raw footage in the beginning 

Let's take a look.  It's not difficult.  Just follow the steps outlined here...

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If the project contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.