3D Anaglyph Creation

Nationalsolo

Hi

If I film a scene with two cameras side by side,producing left eye and right eye clips, does anybody know how I can create a single red/cyan anaglyph film with the two resulting clips?

I am not talking about red/cyan treated images side by side or one over the other but a properly created red channel output from one clip added by subtraction to a cyan output (green+blue channels) from the second clip which would produce a single anaglyph output clip

I can easily output a pseudo 3D video from a simgle clip using the 2D to 3D stereo option but this is obviously not what I want.

I have done hundreds of still anaglyphs (black/white and colour) for slide shows manually with Picture Publisher but having two cameras would like to try creating a proper stero colour film.that can be viewed using red/cyan glasses.

Nat

Hi Nat,

I think "Tint" effect in VideoPad equivalent to applying color filters. Assuming the glasses is red on the left, cyan on the right. What we need to do is apply a red filter to the left video and apply a cyan filter to the right video. Then you need the layer effect "Add" to combine the videos together.

VideoPad currently didn't support layer effects. I've filed a suggestion for it.

You can try it on still images in a image editing package see if it works.

Best regards.

Hi c_major

I've made many hundreds of red/cyan anaglyphs, mostly of old Victorian stereo cards which were black/white or sepia. and a lot of colour stereo pairs using digital cameras mounted side by side. As mentioned I have used Micrografx Picture Publisher to do this and VP to create what is in effect a slide presentation of the results.

The principle being to take both images, convert each to their three RBG channel images. For the left image I change the red channel to black and then recombine the channels. This gives the Cyan image (G+ B).

For the right hand image I black out the green and blue channels and recombine to give the Red image.

Both images are then superimposed and merged by Addition.giving the final anaglyph for viewing. Here is an example...

am2fzjf4cw.jpg

Unfortunately the TINT effect you suggest doesn't work as it doesn't create a pure RED or CYAN channel.

But... I have now found that the COLOUR CURVES effect does work however. :) ...and its quick!

So now I have my two images (RED and CYAN) One on Video track 1 and the other on video track 2.

(When I say images I am testing with jpgs but analagous to video clips)

From what you are saying now is that ..I can't create an anglyph with these tracks until NCH develop a Merge by Addition function?

If you do develop this feature it might also be useful to develop a merge of designated tracks (1 and 2 say) by several modes e.g. Addition / Subtraction / Lighter / Darker / Filter / Multiply / Difference / Texturize which are the Mege modes available in the Micrografx package. They would produce some very useful effects for film makers.

(Micrografx was discontinued some years ago but I expect other packages have similar features.)

Anything on the horizon? <_<

Nat

Hi c_major

Thank you for your reply. Well..it's something to wait for I suppose :)

In the meantime, for anyone interested in trying stereo with two side by side cameras or lots of stereo pairs...

I have just been trying out the possibility of using the Transparency effect at 50% on the CYAN image (or RED image ...it doesn't seem to matter which is used..) placed on the overlay track.

Although this doesn't make an additive merge for the preview, it does allow the underlying main track image to appear and by adjusting the brightness and contrast of the overlay a reasonable anaglyph can be produced. At least with monochrome left/right originals. This an example produced in VP (right eye RED lens) from a pair of B/W images taken with twin cameras...

921kxz20h7.jpg

In this test the RED image was generated on Video track 2 usiing the Colour Curves effect by dropping the Green and Blue levels to 0, the transparency was set to 50% ..Brightness -2....Contrast 25 and Gamma 1.

The CYAN image was generated on the Video track 1 by reducing the red channel to 0 with the Colour curves effect and the Brightness set at 20; Contrast 25 and Gamma 1.

The result is not too bad. Levels would need adjusting whilst wearing anaglyph glasses for the best effect as different images might need different contrasts etc.

I have yet to see how well this works with colour video clips or images. Video clips would have to synchronised of course when placed on the timeline... I think it looks promising. :mellow:

I would be intersted to hear if anybody tries this.

Nat

• 4 years later...

Tried the opacity trick and it worked pretty well.

I'm new with NCH VideoPad, som I didn't know a way to increase contrast over the two channels in one project. But with a second project importing the first composit and increasing contrast (with a combo of exposure and sharpness)I  solved that satisfyingly. Some quality loss as a second gen export ofcourse, but OK.

But I was a bit confused with how the input frames are supposed to look to composit 3d-video?

I usually render two separate cams full res for stereo. But it seems like I will have to combine them to one image above or side by side before I can take them to VideoPad to 3d-treat them.
In that case I might as well use PS-macros to mix down the channels and 3dsMax Videopost to combine them as I have done in the old days.

Hi

If you are filming with two cameras side by side then to get a red/cyan anaglyph film do this....Note that the LEFT image will be RED and the RIGHT image will be CYAN

• Place the right hand clip (RED) on Video track 1
  • Place the left hand clip (CYAN) on Video Track 2
  • Align the two clips vertically......
  • aa.jpg
  •  
  • Click the FX for Video Track 1 and select the Color Curves effect
  • Click the RGB down arrow and select  the Green graph. Pull the top right hand marker vertically down to the bottom. The Clip on Video Track 1 will now be Magenta....
  • bb.jpg
  •  
  • Click the down arrow once more and select the Blue graph. Pull the top right marker vertically down to the bottom. The clip on Video track 1 will now be RED.......
  • ccc.jpg
  •  
  • Click the FX for Video Track 2 and select the Color Curves effect.
  • Click the RGB down arrow and select  the Red graph. Pull the top right hand marker vertically down to the bottom. The clip on Video Track 2 will now be Cyan.
  • ddd.jpg
  •  
  • Click the FX for Video Track 2 again and select the Transparency effect.
  • Set the Opacity for Video Track 2 to 50%....
  • ee.jpg
  •  
  • The sequence will play as a RED/CYAN anaglyph in colour but will be rather dark...
  • gg.jpg
  • The next step is to create a sequence of the timeline.
  • At the left end of the timeline click the + ......ff.jpg This will create a sequence in the bin and clear the timeline.
  • Open the Sequence clip bin and drag the created sequence back to Video Track 1 on the timeline.
  • Click the FX and select the Exposure effect. Adjust the exposure to suit the anaglyph clip...
  • hh.jpg
  • This should play in true 3d. (Although in this example I forgot to register the red clip using Position but I think you get the gist.)

An ordinary, single,  2D clip can be exported as a pseudo 3D anaglyph if at export the option 3D Video File is selected and Stereoscopic Format is set for Anaglyph Image, Red-Cyan

There are no settings to adjust the Re/Cyan separation so the depth effect for the 2D image relative to the screen is not very effective. Here is the result using one of the stereo clips from my above example... and Yes, there is some separation <_<

xx.jpg

Nat