Why can't I drag clips further right of track, all clips just go back to beginning?

StephQ09

Hi

I am making a video, you can think of it as the same style as a trailer for a movie where there are lots of clips in a short time frame.

I made most of the video, now I want to go back to the beginning and add some clips. In order to make space I tried to drag all the current clips right-ward, so there is more space at the beginning on the left side. However, when I finally manage to drag the clips right-ward, (most of the time it won't work, it will just snap back to the beginning) then I try to drag the audio right-ward as well, the moment the audio and video matches up they all snap back to the beginning. Sometimes its helpful for the clips to automatically snap back but now is not one of them. How do I drag the clips right-ward so I can make space at the beginning for more clips?

Thanks

Hi

Normally you won't need to drag the sequence to the right. If you want to add some more clips to the start of your timeline, you can drag and drop them directly from the media list window.

Pull them with the cursor from the media list down to the timeline where a yellow box will appear. Drag the clip (plus the box) to the left and it will be attracted to any of the clip joins where you can release it. Drag it to the extreme left and it will be added to the start of the timeline. Clips already on the timeline witll be moved to the right to accomodate the new clip. I think this is what you require.

As an alternative you can open the Options screen (Click the chevrons at the RH end of the toolbar.)

Under the "Options" "Media" tab change the "Add new clip to the following position" to "Ask Me" followed by OK.

If you now right click any clip on the media list and select "Place on sequence" you will be prompted for a position. eg. "Place on sequence at start"

In the latest version of VP you can set the cursor automatically at any join and then use "Place on sequence at the cursor."

Nat

Hi Nat

I tried clicking and dragging a clip directly to the media tracks, if I drag it to the beginning (where all my other clips have snapped to) the new clip will cut into what is already there. So if I have a clip say 10 seconds long, and I drag a clip 4 seconds long to the beginning, it will cut away the first 4 seconds of the original clip, and I will end up with the 4 seconds new clip and 6 remaining seconds of the previous one.

Also under "Options> Media> Add new clip to the following position" it is already set as "Ask Me"

When I split clips to take out a chunk, sometimes, I can't really tell when, the clip on the RH of the split will automatically snap back to the LH one as if they are magnetic and refuse to stay apart. Then I can't add stuff in between. Other times the The only time this is helpful is when I take a chunk out of a clip and I want the 2 clips to come together (and it does it automatically)

Any ideas?

Hi,

The automatic gap removal behavior is what we called "ripple editing". You can temporary disable ripple editing by holding [Alt] while moving clips. Also, [Alt] + [Delete] will delete a clip in the middle without removing the gap.

Best regards.

I tried clicking and dragging a clip directly to the media tracks, if I drag it to the beginning (where all my other clips have snapped to) the new clip will cut into what is already there. So if I have a clip say 10 seconds long, and I drag a clip 4 seconds long to the beginning, it will cut away the first 4 seconds of the original clip, and I will end up with the 4 seconds new clip and 6 remaining seconds of the previous one.

Using the latest, 3.89, I'm not seeing this behavior, whether the clip is dragged to a cut point or time line beginning ... or if it is right-clicked and dropped per the "ask me" menu.

Be sure that the orange line with arrows that appears when dragging along the timeline is lined up precisely where you want it. It should snap into place at every cut point, including the start of timeline.

Hi,

The automatic gap removal behavior is what we called "ripple editing". You can temporary disable ripple editing by holding [Alt] while moving clips. Also, [Alt] + [Delete] will delete a clip in the middle without removing the gap.

Best regards.

Thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for!