Off-the-shelf Voice Modems

Guest Gregory

Guest Gregory

Searching through the forum, I've found several topics that pose the issue of "Which modem works" but none have any satisfactory answers. There are even reports that modems on the "recommended" list don't work well all the time (not recognizing key presses, crackly sound, etc.).

The Intel 536EP that came installed on the machine I've chosen to demo IVM on functions, but the sound quality is horrible - the worst kind of static. I would like to purchase another modem, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars.

So, in your experience, which off-the-shelf voice modems work best with IVM?

And let's hear from NCH staff on this one. So far as I've seen from combing through the forum, pre-sales support sucks.

• 1 month later...

No need to bother NCH staff, they aren't in the modem business and this forum produces better on this subject.

I tried the "well praised" (based on this forum) MultiModem MT5656ZDX-V. But this had trouble (more likely caused by the serial-to-usb cable).

So, after trouble shooting with MultiModem for a few weeks (free and responsive support, thank God), they pointed me to their MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 which is a voice modem incognito. MultiModem remains true to being a global manufacturer and to the success of her customer as this modem works great for the the property line example program, and you'll save $35 on an extra cable (which probably won't mesh anyway).

If you want to try this solution you'll have to get the driver through me (blumagicterritory@yahoo.com) or Matt (mabrahamsen@multitech.com), that is, until MultiModem starts delivering this driver with their product or posts it on their web page.

---

This production was made possible by a generous amount self-interest. Although everyone on this site probably already knows, "Active pursuit of self-interest makes democracy (and life) work." (D. C. Johnston)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I want a modem for a 2003 SBS Server for a single phone line small business solution. Does the MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 work on 2003 or XP or?

Might I suggest that it would be advantageous to set a format for recommendations say:-

Operating System used

Location where tested. (country)

Voice capability? Y/N

Line Playback quality

Digit Detection

Ringing or not?

Call Transfer function? Y/N

Caller ID ability? Y/N

Additional Comments: e.g.

Line playback volume – Good/average/Bad

Line playback response time - Good/average/Bad

Line playback quality - Good/average/Bad

COST?

Digit detection sensitivity - Good/average/Bad e.g. (Above average, i.e. simultaneous line playback and digit detection causes modem to think that it is a fast busy signal, thus disconnecting the call)

If you want to try this solution you'll have to get the driver through me (blumagicterritory@yahoo.com) or Matt (mabrahamsen@multitech.com), that is, until MultiModem starts delivering this driver with their product or posts it on their web page.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...