Odd-size (screen recordings) are scrambled after import

ajkool

When I make a screen recording, the recorded file has an 'abnormal' width and height (like 1531 x 988).

After importing, the image is out-of-line-sync.

Only after converting (using ffmpeg) to a 'standard' size it can read. But then a lot of the resolution is lost in the process.

I don't even know what 'standard' sizes are supported by VideoPad...

Is there a good work-around, or even better, a bug-fix?

PS. Moviemaker 6 imports this without problems.

I am using VideoPad Professional V3.12

Hi

Not quite sure what you mean by "Out of Line Sync" Is this a sound problem?

With regards your image size, provided the file format (type of file...avi; wmv, mov, mpeg etc.) can be loaded into VP, then if it is not the "standard" aspect ratio of 16:9, the program will usually adjust the height or width (whichever is greatest) so as to fit the aspect ratio of the videopad frame.

Provided your video AR is 16:9 or a ratio of 1.77. (1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 etc.) it will automatically fill the whole video frame whatever the actual size in pixels.

If your video frame is 1531 x 988 as you say, the aspect ratio is 1.54 This means that VP will fit it vertically into the frame but as it won't stretch your image horizontally as this would deform it, it will leave a border on the left and right.

If you want this aspect ratio video to fill the frame, you will need to use the CROP effect and set it to 16:9. This will result in a loss of the top and bottom of the image.

Or you can physically deform it yourself using the SCALE effect and adjusting the X% value.

Assuming you are not satisfied with the raw video (1531 x 988) you have, what is the frame size in pixels after you have converted it? If it is markedly reduced then obviously you will lose definition.

Nat

Hi

OK. I can see what you mean. It might be a VP problem caused by the odd image size of your original,

as you see in the preview editing screens is only a reduced copy of the original video. Presumably if this isn't a multiple of 512 or 288 (or close) VP can't reduce it to the same AR properly. It could be that the pixel lines for making the previews are then read "as is", like 512,512,512 etc. leaving an overlap of a few pixels each time which are added to the next line, building up and causing the slant........ Just a guess though.

Although it's not a lot of use saying so, your edited output might not show the slant. :unsure:

However, I have seen something similar with one screen capture software I tried out but can't remember the name of it now. :mellow:

So.....What program are you using to record the screen action?

I currently use CamStudio which seems to work OK. Worth giving it a try.

Nat

Hi

This screen capture software seems to work OK with the added advantage that you can select the screen area to copy. Cam studio doesn't do this (at least in the version I downloaded.)

I tried loading some avis to VP made this software selecting the aspect ratio you had difficulty with (1531 x 988) as well as multiples of it.

They all loaded into VP and played with no distortion.

Nat

I have used CamStudio 2.7 r316

I looked at OCam but it can not capture an application window, but restricts itself to fixed 16:9 or 4:3 formats.

So your imported will do fine.

As I suggested, the error is probably due to with non standard formats.

I'm having a similar problem, but it isn't with screen captures. I created some animations to create a music video. The animations were created as GIFs, then were converted to AVI before loading into VideoPad. I was using an older version of VideoPad (3.12), and all of the animations worked fine, but twice the program crashed. I sent in a crash report, and was told that a newer version was available that would most likely fix the crash problem. After loading the newer version (3.29) two of the seven animations had the same problem as described by Novice, above. I reloaded the two animations in question, but they loaded the same as before. Still looking for a solution.

Hi Tango420

Getting a bit off topic now but If you still have your animated GIF files (you don't need the individual images) try Beneton Movie Gif to convert them to .avi files. The GIFs are extracted and converted to BMPs first which are then animated.You can also resize and change the speed of the resulting animation with the Beneton program. These.avis load and play OK in VP. I haven't had any that slanted .......but I did with another gif to avi program. It only did it if I selected a larger format output. It wasn't a screen capture program as I thought in my post above...your post jogged my memory. :)

Nat