Print charges on an invoice

positively

Hi -

I'm using EA on a Mac.

I have written a book (yay!), and I have a Print on Demand (POD) company fulfill the sales from distributors and bookstores.

Each month, they deposit the (very modest) net sales in my bank account.

My problem:

I would like to set something up so I can show:

1) Qty sold

2) Gross Sales amount

3) The printing charges they take out of the gross sales as an expense.

I used to be able to do this part in Quicken by setting up a multi-account posting with the printing charges as an expense against sales, except of course I was never able to track quantities other than manually making notes.

I don't seem to be able to set up a purchase order or sales order or invoice properly to do this.

Example:

Sold 16 books in October.

Gross Sales = $181.92

Printing Charges = $87.68

Net Deposit = $94.24

The printing charges are always $5.48 per book. I could go ahead and make that the COGS for the item, but it won't balance for the net deposit.

I have tried:

- Creating an item for the printing charges, but EA won't let me put in a negative quantity (which makes me worry about returns, as occasionally happens).

- Doing a percentage discount - that started an interesting chain of problems, resulting in me having to delete everything including the items for the book.

I think I'm looking at 3 separate manual journal entries: 1 for gross sales, 1 for printing charges, 1 for net deposit. However, once again, I don't get quantity tracking that way.

Example:

Sold 16 books in October.

Gross Sales = $181.92

Printing Charges = $87.68

Net Deposit = $94.24

The printing charges are always $5.48 per book. I could go ahead and make that the COGS for the item, but it won't balance for the net deposit.

you could do it this way

QTY Discrption Price each Total

16 Books 11.37 181.92

16 printing Charges -5.48 -87.68

Net Total 94.24

Or the only other way you can do it and it will be the best way is to do a Invoice for the sale of the books at the full amount for each book ie 11.37 and do a purchase order for the printing of the the book at 5.48 and when you go in to the balance sheet you will see it will balance out. you will also have to do a payment for both for the full amounts ie for the invoice will be if you sold 16 books at 11.37 and total is 181.92 then the payment will be 181.92

for the purchase order will be 16 printing charges at 5.48 and the total will be 87.68 and the payment for it will be 87.68

then when you go in to your balance sheet you will see it will balance out

I hope you can under stand my 2 option above