Uploading To YouTube, etc.

yonargi1

I seriously thank you for providing the good help that enabled me to finish my project. (I'm so excited!) I'm now at the point of uploading it to YouTube, for one, and for another saving it on a DVD disk so that I can share it with friends and family.

Let me say, paranthetically, that I intend to purchase the software from VideoPad. I would have purchased it tonight, but I didn't get paid yet, and I don't have enough money in my budget to purchase until I do get paid, but I am very near. I am so indebted to the technicians who created VideoPad. It didn't get good reviews at download.com but I can only believe that it was because the Novices didn't know how to use the software. I'm very grateful to the technicians and wish to support them in providing this excellent software to the public.

That said, I'm having trouble: 1) saving it in .avi format, 2) uploading to YT, and 3) downloading on a disk. I thought I had saved it in .avi (it says .avi), but YT didn't recognize it. Downloading to a dvd disk, my system says something like "put a disk into the tray" when I have one there all along. So I took everything out and went through the instructions again. When it said, "put a disk into the tray" I did, but it didn't recognize it. YouTube said they didn't recognize the format but would try to upload it anyway. They tried, but in the end they still didn't recognize the format. Could you tell me:

1. How to save the movie to .avi.

2. How to upload to YT.

3. How to save on disk.

It may be that if I could do #1, that may take care of the problem. I am using VP version 2.41.

Hi

With 2.41 save to avi by...

Click the "Save Movie" tab on the toolbar

Click "Computer/Data" tab on the toolbar

Enter your save name and destination folder in the box

Click the down arrow in the Preset box and select HD 720 (higher if your video is HD 1080)

File Format and Resolution automatically fill with the defaults (.avi 1280 x 720-HD 720p)

Select the framerate suitable for your system.

Click the Encoder Options button

Choose between H264 (Native) or MPEG4 (Native) both work OK for me although I prefer H264

If you use this option you can select your quality settings. The default is 23 but selecting a lower value will improve the resolution of the final save but takes longer. I generally use a setting of 10.

The MPEG4 defaults to the highest rate automatically.

Click OK

Leave the sound compresson default at MP3 (Native) and the format as 4100 Hz, 128kb Stereo.

Click OK then Click OK

The time line will render to the specified folder and a progress bar will appear.

When finished the program will allow you to open the folder with your video.

UTube

I've not saved here for a while but I used their own uploader when I last did for an HD file generated as above. Worked OK.but ndon't expect it to be fast. I tried other UT formats which showed too much pixellation.

To save to disc I presume you mean DVD.

I never use the VP option.

The DVD generation part of videopad only writes the project to the disc from the timeline in a single playable form. It will not add menus, play buttons etc. or add more than one project to the disc.

The best way is to save your finished project (or projects) to your PC as separate avis (as explained above) and then use a third party dedicated DVD creator to produce your DVD. This way you can have previews, menus and selection buttons.

If you have Windows movie maker then you will probably also have Windows DVD maker which will do the job.

However, I prefer DVDStyler which is a free DVD creator program and which gives you full control over nearly all aspects of the creation process. It's easy to use

http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/downloads

Another free program is the SoThink DVD maker. This does a similar job but, if you haven't bought the software it places a green advert screen between each film (or at every bookmark if you have used these). It's not particularly annoying though, otherwise it is free to use with no time restriction apparently and the results are good otherwise.

http://www.sothinkme...ovie-dvd-maker/

Also it's not a bad idea to check it works OK for you by using a DVD-RW disc. That way you don't waste a disc if it's not to your liking when complete. DVD Styler creates a complete DVD copy on your PC for you to test out before it burns it to the disc in the slot.

Nat

You say: "The best way is to save your finished project (or projects) to your PC as separate avis (as explained above)" Here is where I have a problem. After running the converter program for over 12 hours, I get a message that says: "This file is too big for NotePad. Use another editor," but it doesn't tell me what editor to use. (I have done this twice unsuccessfully.)

Hi

Hmm..Not sure where Note Pad comes in..... :huh: ..... Never come across that before.

What you do is....Open your project...that's the .vpj file.....into Videopad.

This is the file you save from time to time as you edit your film. Save it also when you finish all your editing. (e.g. FINAL EDIT.vpj)

Then follow the method and settings in the post to save it to your PC as an .avi file. This should be a finished film that will play on your PC via VLC or Media Player where you can check it plays OK.

This avi is the file that you load to the DVD creating program.

Nat

Yes, that is the method that I followed each time, and when the video has completed converting to ."avi", I click on the Windows Media Player icon that it is filed under, and out pops NotePad. I must be doing this, but how? Is it possible that NCH programed this glitch into the software so as to "encourage" everyone to purchase their software? (Far out, I know, but I'm grasping for straws here!) The movie is 1 hour, 7 minutes long, plays perfectly in .vpj, and is 408KB in the original .vpj file. I found one person having a similar problem, and the answer was, "Look for File>Export" or words to that effect. When I went to look for File>Export in my VideoPad, I could find no reference to "Export" under the File Menu. Another possibility: Use a separate file converter, so I have looked half the day and could find nothing that will take .vpj and change it to .avi. Is there anyone there who has converted a large file and can tell me how to do it? Or ????

Yes, that is the method that I followed each time, and when the video has completed converting to ."avi", I click on the Windows Media Player icon that it is filed under, and out pops NotePad.

Either it truly wasn't saved as AVI, per Nat's instructions, or the AVI extension is associated with the wrong (Notepad) program. That's unlikely, because you report seeing the Media Player icon. WMP normally opens AVIs.

You don't mention what Windows version is being used, but...

Right-click on the AVI file and choose OPEN WITH. Click "choose default program" and check the "always use" box. Find Windows Media Player in the list (or browse for it) and double-click on it.

If you're able to create a very small AVI test file, post it to a server or YouTube, and link it here. Someone will check its validity.

Hi

"or the AVI extension is associated with the wrong (Notepad) program."

This may be the problem here and the changes suggested are worth trying.

It seems the particular icon selected for the avi correctly shows the letters AVI underneath (other WMP icons that can be used show WMV or MPG etc depending on the file type) but these should be associated with WMP and double clicking them should open the player not Notepad. (Unless I am way of the beam.)

If they had been associated with Notepad they would have the Notepad icon and not the WMP avi icon.

If I untick the ALWAYS box and set a normal .avi file to open with Notepad it brings up a Notepad warning window immediately saying it is too large to open in Notepad and to use a different editor.

However if I set to ALWAYS use Notepad the icons change to the Notepad icon and then the message appears.

As Yonargi's icon has not changed and still shows the WMP AVI icon I would have thought that it was still associated with WMP.

Just change the program with which you want the .avi to open as per Borate's instructuions and see what happens.

Nat

I just completed a short video to be used in testing. I noticed some differences in the instructions and what the software wants to do, as follows:

Instructions were to put HD 720 in the "Preset" block: This changes back to "Custom" when I input "NTSC" in the framerate block (I understand NTSC is correct for North America; PAL is used in the UK.) It only holds when I use PAL.

Encoder Options instructions: Will only take defaults, which is "44100 Hz, 320 kbps Stereo." It always defaults back to this number when I select "44100 (I presume this is correct and the 4100 is a typo.) Hz, 128 kbps Stereo."

And, again, it saved it to .vpj, not .avi.

I'm going to work on it some more, but wanted you to know these details in case they were important.

Will only take defaults, which is "44100 Hz, 320 kbps Stereo." It always defaults back to this number when I select "44100 (I presume this is correct and the 4100 is a typo.) Hz, 128 kbps Stereo."

And, again, it saved it to .vpj, not .avi.

Something isn't adding up. 44100 Hz (sample rate), 128kbps (bit rate) would be characteristics of an AUDIO file, not video. Many Mp3s here are exactly that and when clicked will open the associated audio player. What are the video encoding specs?

Video encoded specs:

Video Compresssor H264 (Native)

Video compression settings 10.0

MP3 (Native)

Sound Format 44100Hz, 128 Kbps, Stereo

Excuse me, I made an error. The "Preset" definitely defaults back to "Custom" when I input TV NTSC in the Framerate block, but the Encoder Options>Sound Format stays at 44100 128Hz 128 Kbps, Stereo."

And nothing is saved in .avi.

Do you think I could take this problem into the "shop" somewhere and have a technician do this operation for me? I am thinking of maybe the Geeks and Best Buy? What are the odds that they will know how to do this: Get my .vpj movie into .avi format?

And nothing is saved in .avi.

Do you think I could take this problem into the "shop" somewhere and have a technician do this operation for me? I am thinking of maybe the Geeks and Best Buy? What are the odds that they will know how to do this: Get my .vpj movie into .avi format?

It appears there's a misunderstanding here. VPJ files are strictly for saving and restoring a Videopad project. They are never converted to any other file format. The techs likely wouldn't have a clue.

Let's go through the steps once more...

To export to an AVI, WMV, or other file formats have your completed project on the timeline.

Click the EXPORT button in the toolbar and, if it's not already selected, click the COMPUTER/DATA button.

*Note the path shown in the "save destination" field. That is where your video will be found. Change the path as desired by using the BROWSE button.

*Choose your file format. AVI or WMV are popular choices.

(These extensions are "containers." Check Wikipedia for an explanation of what they may contain.)

*For standard NTSC, choose 29.97 as the frame rate. "Custom" is fine for the preset.

*Leave the video/audio encoder options as is.

*Click on CREATE. This will place the file in the destination folder that you specified. Click on it there. Its icon should be that of the associated media player, which should launch and play the file.

HI

The preset does change back but it's not a problem. However things seem to be mixed up a bit for you.......

But follow my steps...

Open Videopad and load your completed project. i.e. Click "File" in the top left of the window and select "Open Project"

If you have been working on a film you should have saved your work as a Project file from time to time. This is a .vpj file.

Your edited film should now open and arrange itself on the timeline.

To save you film as an .avi file to your PC.....

1) Click the "Save Movie" button on the toolbar and select "Computer/Data"

2) Enter the Save destination and name for your .avi. (Set up a folder first and then browse to it, or just select the desktop.)

3) Left click the down arrow in the "Preset" box and select HD 720 from the drop down list. (or HD 1080 depending on your video clip format). The Preset box will change to HD 720.

4) The "File Format" will be .avi. The "Resolution" will be 1280 x 720 - 720p

5) Click the down arrow in the "Frame Rate" box and select 29.97 (TV NTSC)....... for the U.S. (I use the PAL setting)

As you have now completed all the entries the "Preset" box changes to "Custom".............(It does this anyway.)

6) Now click the "Encoder Options" button.

The "Video Compressor" window will now show H264 (Native). You can leave it as this or if you prefer you can click the down button and select MPEG4 (Native). (I can't see much difference in the final output between these, but as my camera outputs in this format, I leave it))

Leave it as H264 (Native)

7) Click the "Video Compression Settings" button.

If you have left the H264 (Native) option you will have a "Quality" slider set at a default value of 23. This is fine but I usually pull this back to 10. It takes longer to render the final .avi but there is less "blockyness" when the film contains large amounts of similar colours. If you slide it below 10 then rendering can take some time. Sliding it to the right and the film renders more quickly but becomes visibly blocky.

8) Click the OK button

9) The "Sound Compressor" default is MP3 (Native). Leave it as this.

10) The "Sound format" default is 44100 Hz, 128 kbps, Stereo. THis is the top of the list so leave it at this.

11) Click the OK button.

You will now have......

Save destination..................The File and name you entered.

Preset................................ Custom

File Format......................... .avi

Resolution........................... 1280 x 720 - 720p (or 1920 x 1080 etc.depending on your choice under (3))

Frame Rate......................... 29.97 (TV NTSC)

Click the OK button and your .avi file will render to the folder and with the name you selected under (2).

When completed videopad will tell you so and open the folder with the .avi file highlighted.

Double click this and it should open in the player that your PC is setup to play .avi files.

You might find it useful to download the free video player called VLC. It can play almost all video formats.

Nat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

HI

Just uploaded a small TEST video to Facebook via videopad.

Authorization completed OK.

Conversion (to flv file) completed OK.

Facebook then reported an error message saying the upload had failed.

Videopad reported that it had failed to upload the video file and had made a copy to the PC.

However, the video had uploaded. :mellow:

Nat

Hi,

Thanks fory our responses ..... I uploaded a "new" beta version and tried again with full 4 minute video .... same result :-( Only difference was that it was "visible" on YT saying "video is processing" ..... but that's as far as it got.

I then tried again with just a 10 second clip and this loaded and launched into YT straight away .... go figure ????

Hi

Well, after TEST loaded OK I tried a longer 5 minute video via VP. Same responses as before except this time it didn't upload. :angry:

Now trying the same video via facebook itself...but it's taking an age.

Later......The original upload has eventually appeared. :) and the upload via facebook itself has also arrived, even though I interupted it after an hour or so!

Nat