All I want to do is fade out the end

ShimonDI

I bought this software with one main goal in mind and that is to be able to add a fade-in at the beginning of a video and a fade-out at the end. I see the option under "Transitions" but I cannot see how or where to select a part of the video I would like to apply it to. I'm sure it's really simple but I did not see it in the tutorial video anywhere.

If anyone can give me a simple set of steps, I'd be EXTREMELY grateful.

Thank you!

Shimon.

I bought this software with one main goal in mind and that is to be able to add a fade-in at the beginning of a video and a fade-out at the end. I see the option under "Transitions" but I cannot see how or where to select a part of the video I would like to apply it to.

Click the yellow star at the head of the timeline. The effects box appears. In the field to the right of "OPACITY" move the scrubber (red vertical marker line) to the a half-second or so, then click the green + icon (add keyframe).

In the box at the right you will note that a green square has appeared. Place your pointer at the far left of the blue line and drag the line down to zero. Another green dot appears at the head of the timeline.

fade.jpg

That's your fade up. The distance between the beginning of the timeline and the 2nd dot is the fade duration. Drag the dots left or right to change it. Drag them up or down to change opacity. Don't forget to SAVE.

A fade out at the very end of the timeline is similar, except that it goes from 100% to zero. Or, simply add the FADE transition to the end, making it any length you choose when prompted for "duration."

Your prompt and detailed response is greatly appreciated. I think I've gotten the fade-in to work but not sure yet about the fade-out. I will wait for the results to come in after the export completes. I thought there would be a simpler way to do it, along the lines of their Wavepad. But video is a whole different animal apparently.

If I don't post again here, you'll know I figured it out.

Many thanks again,

Shimon.

I think I've gotten the fade-in to work but not sure yet about the fade-out.

Again, if you use the "opacity" method in the effects box, a fade out at the very end of the timeline is similar, except that it goes from 100% down to zero.

Drag the scubber to the end of the timeline, then drag the blue opacity line down to zero. Now drag the scrubber to about a half-second before the end of the timeline and click the green +. Drag that green square UP, to 100%.

The fade up and the fade out, as seen in the graphic representation of the opacity line, will be mirror opposites of one another. Manually move the scrubber from far left to far right to see the effect, or PLAY it.

Hi

Borate has explained very well a method for fade in and fade out.

Remember that you normally fade out to Black and fade in from Black

So ...For Fade-out....

Click the "Add Blank" tab on the toolbar and select Black for the colour.

Click the "Add" button and your blank black frame will be found in the Image folder of the media list.

Drag and drop this so it follows the last clip you have on the sequence line.

Click the small square with the horizontal lines on it, at the end of your last clip (Set Video Transition) and select "Fade" from the list.

Enter the duration for the fade.

Click OK and a yellow bar will generate at the end of your sequence covering the join between your last clip and the blank black frame.

Play the sequence now and you will see your clip fade out to black.

You can adjust the blank frame length and transition timings to get the effect you want.

For a fade in you can simply add a blank Black frame to the start of the sequence line before your first clip.

Click the box with the lines on it as mentioned above and select "Cross Fade" from the list and then follow the same steps as above

This is not as good as the Opacity method suggested by Borate but it is simpler and probably quicker.

Nat

• 6 years later...

I find that the earlier version of Videopad was much more user-friendly. Operations like fades were really intuitive. Something went really wrong when they sought to improve the program. Fortunately for me, I have the older version on a different computer. I find myself working more with the older, more professional version!

Hi

It's logical that not everybody will find a more recent version of a favorite  program to their liking. (I much prefer playing Age of Kings to the later versions with the bigger better graphics -_-)  but often this is due to a natural reluctance to "unlearn" something you have got used to. The "light" version of VP is an example. Iv'e got used to the "Dark" Videopad but users still ask about changing back

Many things have been altered for the better (some things perhaps not<_<)  and things that didn't work then now work, but not always intuitively I agree.  However you specifically quote..

"...Operations like fades were really intuitive. ..."    In the current version to Fade -in....Click the f in the box at the start of the clip and set a fade time. That's pretty simple.  To fade-out would logically suggest a similar box at the end of the clip - (and I have suggested this)  but clicking the transition  X brings up the Fade Transition, either through Black/White/or Colour, take your pick; It's  there. I think that is pretty simple. (and intuitive)  But having said that you can still create fades if you feel you need to use the old method.

Another point is that the older versions might find it difficult to handle some of video requirements of today. Bigger formats, bigger files and very long videos. Even VP 32 bit is getting exhausted.  For example recent events have created a need  to produce multiscreen videos...choirs; groups and orchestras etc.. Early versions of VP didn't have a multi split screen effect and it required some ingenuity to create these. Once split screen was introduced..great!  A 5 x 5 matrix which is currently the max might seem to be enough but a recent project referred to the forum required a  6 x 3 matrix which VP doesn't have. This problem was solved by adapting what there was, but the old "simple" method of using several positioned,scaled and cropped clips  rather failed with so many complicated tracks stacked at once.(VP struggled)  I also looked at a project for an orchestra that wanted a matrix of 10 x 10 so all  of the players could be present together. In the end we had 80! The 81st was the conductor who hogged the remaining boxes!

So you see,  VP is continually developing and even though you prefer the earlier version which is fine..do keep trying the later ones Make suggestions  too. (I am going to suggest a bigger matrix) Often they get implemented.

Nat