Porting data from XP version to Windows 8 version

dankkw

I have used express accounts for a few years on a Windows XP PC. Now I just bought a new Windows 8 PC and would like to continue using this software. I understand that the XP version is quite old compared with the new version but not sure if their database structure are compatible so that I can restore the backup in the old PC on my new Windows 8 PC. If incompatible, can someone please give me the direction of how I can transfer my old accounting data? Thanks in advance.

I'm almost certain there'd be some compatibility issues (if not major), but you could try and see for yourself. The backup/restore feature may help. See the link below from previous forum:

http://nch.invisionz...a-new-computer/

OR

Alternatively, you can start from scratch on new version. Simply enter the opening balances for each accounts (in charts of accounts), customers and suppliers from old version, and check balance sheet and income statement before start entering new invoices and purchases.

I have tried to restore the backup created from the xp version to my new Win8 PC. Got no luck with the following error message :

"Restore backup error : You did not select a valid folder to restore".

It seems that the only option left is to start from scratch on the new version as you suggest.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

That's not the error I expected. You may have selected the wrong folder while restoring. Make sure to copy all the backed-up data from old pc to new pc, and while restoring, select 'Restore manual backup' and browse to the backed-up root folder. The folder name should be something like "ExpressAccounts-Backup-2013-10-15".

What you mentioned was exactly what I have done.

Also, I have compared the folder structures of the backups created from xp version and Win8 version respectively. Win8 backup has significantly more subfolders than that of xp.