Cilp render lines still very slow!

Dougie

While trying to explain a crossfade to another member here (that nationalsolo took care of nicely), I put two clips on the timeline (in this case on the same track, although that doesn't seem to matter) and waited for the clips and effect to render (the green and orange lines). The result worked fine, but,it took forever for these short clips and effect renders to complete!! Indeed it was quite a few minutes for them to even start and the green render line would often stop for a while.

This is in version 3.12 which I thought had fixed this. I guess not, This is the very reason I'm still using trials. I can't afford to buy an editor that acts this way. Any hope for future help with this?

The result worked fine, but,it took forever for these short clips and effect renders to complete!! Indeed it was quite a few minutes for them to even start and the green render line would often stop for a while.

Video editing is resource intensive. You might compare your PC to this. If it's not up to snuff you can expect sluggish/crashy performance.

The system requirements listed below are recommended by the creator of another loosely comparable editing tool as minimums for general digital video production work.

Screen Resolution:

1024 X 768, 16-bit color or above.

Windows 7/Vista/XP (Windows XP Service Pack 2 is required for HDV capture).

Memory:

512 MB required.

3 GB DDR2 or above recommended for 32 bit OS.

6 GB DDR2 or above recommended for 64 bit OS.

CPU:

AVI Capture/Producer profiles: Pentium II 450 MHz or AMD Athlon 500 MHz.

DVD Quality (MPEG-2) profiles: Pentium 4 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2200+.

High Quality MPEG-4 and Streaming WMV, QuickTime profiles: Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2.

Full-HD quality H.264 and MPEG2 profiles: Intel Corei5/7 or AMD Phenom II X4.

AVCHD and BD burning profiles: Pentium Core 2 Duo E6400, or AMD Phenom II X2.

Video Capturing Device:

PCI or USB1.0/2.0 capture device compliant with WDM standard (i.e. PC Camera and TV tuner with WDM driver).

DV camcorder connected via OHCI-compliant IEEE1394.

DVD camcorder connected via USB2.0.

Sony MicroMV/AVCHD/HDV camcorder.

JVC Everio camcorder.

Panasonic MicroMV/AVCHD/HDV camcorder.

Hard Disk Space:

5 GB required.

10 GB (20 GB recommended) required for DVD production.

60 GB (100 GB recommended) required for BD/HD/AVCHD production.

Burning Device:

A CD or DVD burner (CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW or DVD-R/RW) is required to burn VCD/DVD/SVCD/AVCHD* titles.

A Blu-ray Disc recordable drive is required to burn Blu-ray Disc titles*.

My computer, while certainly not the newest monster, fits the requirements above nicely. I noticed that when I first installed 3.12, it rendered pretty quickly (as I mentioned in a previous post). but has gotten slower and slower with renders, even though I have changed nothing in my setups or added anything new software wise, and I keep it defragged and cleaned daily. Just don't get it!

Hi Dougie

I have to say I agree with you. After 2.41 everything slowed down to a crawling pace. At the moment I am doing an animated slideshow for a friend in France using a couple of hundred images, a few video clips and subtitles. This was so slow in VP 3.1x that I am actually doing it in 2.41 which works with no problems

Nat