Watch out for version 3.11

Dougie

I've tried every version since 2.41 on my computer, the last working one being 3.10 which worked okay.

Today I decided to try the new 3.11, and also the new beta 3.12. Big mistake. When exporting small projects of various different sizes, both 3.11 and 3.12 FROZE at 99% complete with 8 seconds left. Full lockup-had to restart the computer to continue. This happened exactly the same at every attempt in both programs. No, I did not have both versions on the machine at one time, but tried each separately after removing the cache and other related files from the previous version.

Eventually, I got frustrated and deleted them, reinstalling 3.10 again, which of course, worked perfectly. Hated to experience this as the promise of faster renders in 3.11 seemed true!

Anybody know what gives?

Good. Hope you can fix it. While testing (as i said above) the timeline render definitely was faster! Try to keep that in! Should make for a nice version.

Hi

Following on from the last post, I have just "created" as short video with version 3.11.

This consisted of 1 mpeg 4 clip and several static jpg images. All loaded to the media list with no problems.

The order of the files on the timeline was...

Video Clip + Image1 + Image2 + Image3

VP quite happily created an HD720 H264 avi on the PC and completed properly.It didn't stop at 99% or freeze as noted by Dougie and Borate.

HOWEVER... The avi video did not play Image 3!

I repeated all the steps again from square 1, and checked it played in the preview window then overwrote the first avi with a new one which completed OK as before but with the same result ....... Image3 was not present in the output.

To check whether it was the jpg at fault or VP I added image 4 (another jpg) to the sequence so that it followed image 3 and again created an avi. This also completed OK.

This time image3 now played but Image 4 was missing!

At this point it seemed to me that VP did not place the last sequence line item into the aviI so I repeated the test by adding a repeat of videoclip1 to the end of the time line.

This time the avi recorded correctly and played all the files.

To check whether it was just an image problem or a final file position problem I now removed the final videoclip from the sequence which now read.. Videoclip + Image1 + Image2 +image3 + Image 4) and found that Image 4 again failed to render even thopugh it played in the preview windows.

Placing a blank frame at the end makes Image 4 appear but the blank frame does not save. (presumably it's seen as image5) and adding an end title over the blank frame previewed OK but doesn't save to the avi.So...No end title!

THIS IS A BUG.

My conclusion to this is that VP 3.11 will not incorporate the final file on the sequence into the output avi if it is an image and this includes any overlay titles made over that image or blank frame.

It could be important as many people put their end titles over a blank frame or image. Particularly if they are creating DVD slideshows.

It would be interesting if anybody could confirm this finding.

Nat

So, either it doesn't render the last file in a sequence-OR-it doesn't complete a full render (as both borate and I experienced). Either way, it needs some work. Did anyone experience (as I did) that it does seem to render the timeline thumbs faster?

Hi Conner

Downloaded version 3.12 Beta as you suggested. Unfortunately this did the same thing as 3.11 as mentioned in my post above.

When the last clip on the timeline is an image, (jpg) it does not render in the final avi saved to the computer. This also applies to any end credits placed over that image. :(

(Placing another video clip (mpeg4) after this image produces a complete avi though. :huh: )

Nat

As well as freezing during an export, as borate and I have experienced, which happens in both 3.11 and 3.12!