help remove(delete) a part in middle of clip

hankeron

I am very new to all of this but I have spent several hours now trying to remove 16 secs from a 2hour mp4 clip. I ended up with my computer crashing as I tried to do too much at once with it. I have searched the help file, and watched 3 videos, and read starter guides and more, and searched this forum and have not found out how to remove a part from the middle of a video clip. I don't need to trim the front or back, I need to remove a bit in the middle.

Is there anyone who could explain step by step how to do this or tell me where to go to learn. Or maybe another editor that could do this. I can't use movie maker, not working on vista system anymore.

desire to: remove 16 secs of video from the middle of a mp4 video clip.

useing videopad video editor version: 3.04 on a vista pc

I would think this is a common thing, like removing dead space in home recordings or commercials from recorded tv.

Thanks for your time and attention any help would be greatly appretiated.

Move the red timeline cursor line to where you want to cut on the sequence and press J (alternatively use the scissors button under the sequence preview). Doing this splits the clips at that point, so you can delete any unwanted clips afterwards.

I have spent several hours now trying to remove 16 secs from a 2hour mp4 clip. Is there anyone who could explain step by step how to do this or tell me where to go to learn.

Move the red scrubber line to the IN point. Click the SPLIT button.

Move the scrubber to the OUT point. Click SPLIT.

Hold down <control> key and left click the clip in the video and then the audio timelines - to select both.

Right-click on the segment to be removed. Click "delete selected clip."

Hi

With all your clips assembled in the sequence line, grab the blue heart shaped blob at the top of the red cursor bar and drag it along to the point where you want to start the removal. You could also play the sequence to this point or click the timeline bar along the top of the sequence which will move the red cursor line to that point.

Under the right hand preview screen you will see a button with scissors and just to the right of this a small down arrow. Click the arrow to choose which tracks you want to cut. (You may not want to cut all the tracks). With simple videos though just click the scissors button.

This will cut all the tracks at the red line.

Now drag the cursor line along the sequence to the end of the section you want to remove and repeat the procedure. i.e. Click the scissor button.Note:

To remove the section you have isolated, right click on it. It will turn blue (you will have selected it) and a menu will appear. Choose to "Delete selected clips"

Note: If there is a join between clips in the original sequence that falls between the points you selected to cut, you will have two bits to remove in this way.

You can select both bits at the same time if you want to save time by left clicking them both in succession whilst holding down the Shift key and then selecting the menu option to "Delete selected clips".

The ends of the sequence that remain (if on the main sequence line) will now jump togther after the section is deleted.

In some circumstances if video is on the other tracks for example you will be left with a gap. This can be closed by clicking it and selecting"Close gap" from the options presented.

Hope this helps

Nat

Thank all of you for your time and attention, borate your answer was helpful to the point I was left with a gap in it, then I found Nationalsolo's answer with how to delete the gap and I have it. Thankyou. you helped me help a 86 yr old lady watch an old movie, it has only one subtitle I can find and at the half way point it became 16 secs off. It is now good.. I thankyou for helping me so quick, you are are wonderful.

• 2 years later...

...it should not be this complicated to do a simple cut. Why is it that developers HATE the right-click construct these days? Because of devices maybe? Anyway, once you have a part of a clip selected, all you should have to do is CUT, and the selected part of the clip is removed. You shouldn't have to do all that splitting and have to keep track of it.

For example, in Adobe Premier Pro, which can take up to 40 seconds to load on my laptop, all I have to do is mark in, mark out, and choose EXTRACT. And the selection's gone.

• 4 months later...

Select (highlight) the far left clip by clicking on it.

Hold down the <shift> key and do the same for the far-right clip.

That's a standard Windows procedure that should select ALL the clips.

Press the DEL key. There are several other methods, but this should do the job.

Hi

Left click the the first picture in the chain to select it

Press and hold down the SHIFT key

Scroll the timeline to the last picture in the chain and left click that.

As Borate says, this will select ALL the clips

Now, still keeping the SHIFT key pressed, right click somewhere in the chain of selected pictures.

In the menu that comes up select "Delete"

Left click this option and all the selected images will be gone leaving a gap in the timeline.

Right click the space where the pictures were and select "Close Gap in Track"

The timeline will now be complete but without your pictures.

If you make a mistake click the "Undo" arrow on the toolbar as many times as required to return to your original timeline.

PS Only coming in here as on my keyboard the Del key doesn't action this. :-(

Nat

Hi Borate

Ooops! No . It's me! and you are right. The way I described deleting clips above is what I have got used to doing. Out of habit I usually keep the SHIFT key pressed even when I right click to get the delete menu option up and, of course it's not necessary to do that.

Trying your method of using Del didn't work at my end simply because I DID keep the SHIFT key down (out of habit) and in VP Del becomes inoperable if SHIFT is pressed at the same time...(With text it works OK though.)

Nat