free version of express scribe?

LizOpen

Hi there,

I downloaded what I thought was the free version of ES with the expectation that when the trial version ended it would revert to the less frills, free version. I don't need the extra stuff and as a self funding student who only needs this for a few hours of transcription I really don't want to have to pay for the full version if I don't have to.

However at the end of the trial it hasn't and I can't see anything in the prefs or anywhere else to switch on so I use the free version. Does it still exist?

I am using the Mac version and yes, I have asked in the Mac forum but it's like the Marie Celeste in there and I figured that any free versions would be cross platform anyway. Any help, links or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Liz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I joined this forum just to ask this same question.

I don't understand this. I read great reviews online about Express Scribe and how it is a free transcription software program. There is even a side-by-side comparison of the free version vs. the pro version on the NCH home page for the program. So I downloaded the FREE version (vs the PRO version) 2 weeks ago, thinking this was similar to other free software programs like adobe acrobat reader, etc.

I went to use it yesterday and kept being prompted to buy a license because the version I had was only a demo of the Pro version and that what I had was a 14 day free trial. I could not even load an audio file into it without ' upgrading ' and buying a license.

Does a usable FREE version actually exist? (since not being able to load audio files into the demo makes it rather useless). If so, how do I get it installed? Anyone?

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded another copy of the free version onto my new laptop, and it now asks me to certify that I'm using it for non-commercial purposes--every single time I open ES. The version on my old laptop doesn't do this. Is this a bug or a new feature?