How to: Splitscreen via Crop?

Llama

Hello

I want to do a (horizontal) split screen with 2 videos, means I need top crop half of the video on top.

But whenever I crop the top video it automatically moves to the middle of the screen and no way to move the cropped video up to where I want it. :(

Help

I need precise cropping and the video needs to stay where it is. No moving to the center. It's not a black border issue.

Regards

Llama

Hi

If I understand correctly you want one clip to play in the top half of the frame with the other clip playing in the lower half of the frame.

The way it should work is........

Start by loading both clips.

Place clip 1 on the main sequence line (Video track 1) and place clip2 on the overlay track (Video track 2). Line up clip 2 exactly over clip 1.

Right click clip 2 (which overplays clip1) and select "Current effects properties"

Click the down arrow in the top box and from the menu select "Crop"

Click the "Add button"

Set X1 = 0

Set Y1 = 25%

Set x2 = 100%

Set Y2 = 75%

Clip 2 will now occupy the middle of the screen and be 1/2 height of the frame.

Grab the red rectangle in the centre and manually position it over the portion of the image you want to show in the frame. This will change the values but this is OK. If you want to fix the aspect ration click the relevant radio button.

Click the down arrow again and Select "Motion"

Click "Add"

Assuming you want Clip 2 at the top....

Set Position x% at 0%

Set Position y% at -25.00%

Clip 2 will now be at the top of the frame.

Repeat for clip 1 on the main sequence line

To position the frame set the y position to 25.00%

The two clips should now be one over the other

However although both clips seem to be positioned correctly in the right hand preview window , the thumbnails of clip2 under the left preview pane as well as on the sequence line only show as the landscape icon although the left preview itself displays the half images of both clips individually correctly.

Playing the complete sequence though continually shows the "Building Preview" message.

So I think there may be BUG here somewhere.

I would be interested if anybody finds similar behavour

Nat

However although both clips seem to be positioned correctly in the right hand preview window , the thumbnails of clip2 under the left preview pane as well as on the sequence line only show as the landscape icon although the left preview itself displays the half images of both clips individually correctly. Playing the complete sequence though continually shows the "Building Preview" message.

I don't see anything wrong with your layout, Nat. See http://hevanet.com/hb/test.avi

Hi

It does work. That's OK. :)

It's just that the thumbnails for the overlay clip haven't rendered properly here since they are only showing as "Landscape" icons.

Don't know why it is doing that, but it's probably why I am getting "Building Preview" after a few seconds of normal playing.

Currently I am working on a couple of other projects and the cache contains over 1000 files (2.21 Gb! :blink: ) That might be slowing it down a bit too....Must clean it out :rolleyes:

Nat

The things were those that I already tried (am not unexperienced with video editing) but I don't get the results that you and Borate get :( But it's what I want.

If I do as you say I get what I don't want:

Hi Llama

I am not sure that you are following the steps I mentioned quite correctly. Follow them exactly and the split screen will work.

Note: The first time round that one selects an effect, both Opacity and Motion control boxs appear as a default. Just ignore these (or delete them with the crosses so at the start you have no effects contols showing)

Your video is OK up to about 22 seconds.

Once you have correctly entered the values I mention (25% and 75%) to get the correct frame size,(1/2 screen fixed over the centre), then grabbed and moved the sized rectangle to surround the part of the frame you actually require you must click the down arrow again and select the motion option from the list (even though the motion controls may already be present at the bottom of the window as mentioned above.) This action of selecting a new effect fixes the area you have cropped and this will have become your new 1/2 frame image.

If you go straight to the already present Motion controls they will only move the BOX again and not the Image.

This is where you are going wrong.

(It's possibly an oversight in VP. One would have thought that the crop would be complete when one continued onto the already present Motion controls....seems not :mellow: )

When you click the down arrow a second time to select and add a new Motion effect, the image area you have selected is fixed. Now you use the new motion box (at the top) to enter your values. You can directly enter the values I mentioned (Position y = 25%) and the cropped image will move to the bottom half of the screen.

Repeat for the other clip with appropriate values and you will have your split screen.

Nat

...you must click the down arrow again and select the motion option from the list (even though the motion controls may already be present...

That was the info I needed. Thank you.

Before I didn't know why I should add an effect that's already there. And my video was just a demonstration. No need to be exact with the values.

And I figured out that the effect order is important. Didn't see the effect window as particular order. But thinking about it makes sense then.

Edited by Llama