Hot key issues with word processors

WSaffron

I can't get the hot keys to work for Express Scribe while using Open Office, or Notepad. They work fine for transcription into my browser, but I cannot figure out how to get them to work with a word processing window. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

System-wide hot-keys are enabled. Operating system is Windows 7 Home edition.

• 1 month later...

did you disable the setting for the foot pedal? I'm unable to use a foot pedal, and I've been transcribing with Express Scribe's hot keys into Word and Open Office for a long time, and the only guess I can make is the problem is in your settings. In Options, there's a tab labeled "Control": make sure the foot pedal is disabled, and in the next tab, Hot Keys, make sure that the "Enable Hot Keys" box is checked. I'm using Vista, but I've been using Scribe since at least (gulp) Windows 98, with both Word and Open Office, and occasionally Notepad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot-keys worked OK for me in WOrd, on Win XP 5.1 SP3, until a minute ago. Hotkeys stopped working. I might have tapped a letter or func key by mistake. I closed and restarted ES, no luck. This puts a big crimp in my transcribing--i.e. would be very grateful for quick reply. Thanks.

I have verified that the foot pedal option is disabled. Hot keys still don't work with a word processing program. I did find a spare keyboard to hook up, and with that one, SOME of the hot keys did work. But with the laptop's own keyboard, no hot keys work.

No clue.