duplicating and renaming clips

upm_editor

I have a 12 minute video clip that is my source, which I imported into the project. I wanted to create subclips of that with logical names . . . so I set an in and an out, and then duplicated the clip. I renamed the duplicate (e.g. "wide shot living room" for example). I went through the whole video and created about 30 of these renamed duplicates. I saved the project. Next time I opened the project, all the duplicates were there, but it did not keep the new names. They all had the name of the original 12 minute clip, although it remembered the IN/OUT chosen for each one.

Does anyone know if there is a way to create subclips from a main clip?

Thanks.

UPM

I have a 12 minute video clip that is my source, which I imported into the project. I wanted to create subclips of that with logical names . . . so I set an in and an out, and then duplicated the clip. I renamed the duplicate (e.g. "wide shot living room" for example). I went through the whole video and created about 30 of these renamed duplicates. I saved the project. Next time I opened the project, all the duplicates were there, but it did not keep the new names. They all had the name of the original 12 minute clip, although it remembered the IN/OUT chosen for each one.

Not seeing that behavior here, using version 3.04.

I set IN/OUT marks on several preview window clips. For each I then clicked the "duplcate" icon and the clip appeared in the media area as <original clip name(1)>.

After right-clicking on the clip and renaming them I saved the project, then closed it and reopened. The clips had retained the changed names.

Thank you, yes, as you pointed out, it does work.

Since I first posted, I continued to fuss around with it and I did figure out the following: this kind of duplicating and renaming of subclips only works if you do it from the clip preview window. It does not work if you duplicate clips from the sequence (either in timeline or storyboard mode). What is confusing is that from the sequence, you can duplicate clips and it will let you rename them, but it won't remember the new names, only the Ins and Outs you chose for each duplicate.

I'm now going through and doing it all over, but from within cip preview, and under the Clips tab.

Thank you for your response, and I hope my mistake will help others getting started on this software.

UPM

this kind of duplicating and renaming of subclips only works if you do it from the clip preview window. It does not work if you duplicate clips from the sequence (either in timeline or storyboard mode).

Thanks for tracking that down. I've reproduced the issue here and logged a bug report.