Noise reduction that works?

Dougie

Does anyone, Virtual Dub or otherwise, offer a video noise reduction filter that works? I downloaded one from Virtual Dub with the filename vdn2.vdf. It will open in the Effects window but when I click on it's bar to use it, nothing happens. It's supposed to open a window with adjustment bars. Doesn't happen. I don't think it's my Videopad setup because all my other Virtual Dub filters work fine. Is there a known problem with this one? Any other free ones out there? Thanks!

Hi

Having loaded it and tried it out in v2.41. I found, as you did that the configuration window didn't come up although I was prompted with it but also that selecting Video DeNoise, the green progress bar along the top of the sequence line played as though something was happening to the clip, but couldn't see what.

Nat

Yea, my experience with the progress bar was also just as you describe. I went back on the VD website again this morning, and noticed something that said...I didn't read it too carerfully, but something to the extent that their filters should be used through something called the Virtual Dub filter management program, or something to that extent. Well, I've never heard of that before, and as I said, all my other VD filters (about three) work just fine. Just have to assume that this one simply doesn't work.

I found two others on the website. One is called Dynamic Noise Reduction 2.1 which behaves just like vdn2 (doesn't work), and one called Smart Smoother which does work, but I can't really understand what it does, or see much change. Ahh well.

Nat, do you know of any others?

• 8 months later...

Hi

Versions 3.24 and 3.29 have got some audio effects that include a High pass filter.

This is moderately effective at removing wind noise etc. but you will have to experiment with the settings.

In 3.29 :Right click the clip in question to select it and then the "Audio Effects" tab on the toolbar.

In 3.24 :Click the"Effects" tab and then select "Audio Effects"

Nat

Hi

Versions 3.24 and 3.29 have got some audio effects that include a High pass filter.

This is moderately effective at removing wind noise etc. but you will have to experiment with the settings.

In 3.29 :Right click the clip in question to select it and then the "Audio Effects" tab on the toolbar.

In 3.24 :Click the"Effects" tab and then select "Audio Effects"

Nat

to Nat: Thank you for the advice.