Fade "in-and-out" on Text overlay

seashell

Good Morning All,

Is there a way to increase the fade-in and fade-out time on a text overlay? I already checked the box labeled "Fade" in the clip preview window when working on a text overlay but the pre-programmed fade-in and fade-out time is just a bit too short.

In other words, I'd like to increase the fade-in and fade-out time of my text overlay (tile page and ending credits).

Thank you

Hi

What version are you using?

In V3.02 you can use the Opacity slider to render the overlay transparent (0%) and then adjust the height of the blue graph lines in the box to the right to set the opacity to 100% at any point after the overlay starts and then do the same for the end of the overlay, bringing the 100% level back down to 0% This creates a fade in and fade out that is under your complete control.

In V 2.41 all you can do when you have placed your text line in the overlay is to click the box marked Fade. You can only have the fade duration that is set.

However, if your text is to be placed over a blank frame or static image and does not scroll (ie. it is a static text line) then you can have a controllable fade.

Create you overlay text screen and in timeline mode place it beneath your background image/blank frame. Set the cursor line over the centre of the overlay box. Click the camera icon below the right hand preview screen. Split your sequence at the point where you want the text to appear. Now drag the "photo" from the media list and drop it onto the main sequence line where you just split it. Now use the crossfade transition to dissolve the text in and then out at the other end. OK, It's static but that's about the best you can obtain if the default fade in the overlay is too short for you.

If you are desparate to have something moving then another option is to create your scrolling/static text over your moving background clip and then save this as a separate avi. Now load that clip back to the media list. Insert it into the sequence and add the crossfades.

Nat

>>>Create you overlay text screen and in timeline mode place it beneath your background image/blank frame. Set the cursor line over the centre of the overlay box. Click the camera icon below the right hand preview screen. Split your sequence at the point where you want the text to appear. Now drag the "photo" from the media list and drop it ontothe main sequence line where you just split it. Now use the crossfade transition to dissolve the text in and then out at the other end. That's about the best you can obtain if the default fade in the overlay is too short for you.

Brilliant! Works perfect! I thought the camera icon was simply used for taking snapshots of the selected clip(s) and used for other purposes outside of VideoPad (i.e jpeg images and such). Thank you very much!

I also assume you want me to delete the text overlay box once the photo has been inserted into the selected position on the timeline. Otherwise the text will appear as "doubled-up". Correct?

Hi Nat,

>>>If you are desparate to have something moving then another option is to create your scrolling/static text over your moving background clip and then save this as a separate avi. Now load that clip back to the media list. Insert it into the sequence and add the crossfades.

I am forced to go the route you explain above because the text overlays that I converted to jpeg's worked fine for custom "fade transitions" but the text was reduced in size during the conversion from text overlay to image. As a result, the ending "scrolling text" font (using the standard text overlay) is larger than the title page "image" font.

In other words, although the same font and text size are used on both titles and credits, the text that resulted from converting an overlay to an image is reduced causing it to be smaller than the ending credits (text overlay). I actually prefer the smaller text but still unclear by your description above on how to go about creating a scrolling/static text and then converting to .avi. Where does VideoPad allow me to convert a scrolling text to .avi ? I searched and could not locate.

Just trying to better understand the mechanics of your suggestion. Thank you for your kind patience.

VideoPad version 2.41

Windows 7

Nat,

I read your suggestion again and I think I'm "over thinking" it! What you are simply saying is if I want to create a custom time-frame for a "cross fade" (instead of ticking the "Fading" box in the text overlay properties area and settling with a fixed time-frame for a cross fade), then all I have to do is create a "new project" and in this new project create only my scrolling text and simply save it as an .avi file under "Save Movie" in VideoPad ver. 2.41.

Once the movie has been rendered, I would simply load it back into my "other" previous project and add the cross-fade(s) as I normally would. Doing so would allow me to set a custom time-frame for a cross fade in what essentially started out as a "text overlay". Correct?

VideoPad ver. 2.41

Windows 7

Thank you

HI

That's it ! Assuming that you don't like the short text fades available in VP 2.41. Create a small project of your text. Save it as an .avi to your computer. Load your full project and then load your short text avi clip back and insert it where you want with a fade in and a fade out to suit. You have to bear in mind that a fade plus a "scrolling" text may not show much as the fade will occur before the text appears. Also this method won't work if you want a moving background film.

If you want your text to work (have a slow fade in/out) over a movie you can try this .....but it's a bit more long winded......

Open VP.

Add a blank black frame to the empty sequence and drag it out to match the duration of your text.

Create an overlay of your static text You can use coloured text if desired.

Pull the text overlay box out so it starts and finishes with the blank black clip.

Save this as an avi.

Clear VP and reload your title avi to the media list

Add a 5 second blank black frame to the empty sequence and then add your title clip to follow it.

Create a cross fade of 2 seconds between the blank frame and your title

Create a 2 second fade at the end of your title.

Adjust the transition times so the effect is what you want.

Save this as a new title avi.

Clear VP once more.

Now load your main project to the sequence line.

Click the Overlay track green cross and choose "Image or Video" Browse to your new title avi and add it as an overlay.

Centre it and make it full size. Now the clever bit......

As your overlay is black it will cover up your background video. so...

Slide the red cursor bar along the sequence so you can see your text in the right hand preview window.

Left Click the overlay so the controls appear in the left hand preview window and then click the Chroma key select button.(Its the little green button with a black head on it)

Select black for the colour to mask (Click the square and select black)

Drag the red chroma key cursor line to the right until your text shows in the left hand preview.

Slide background slider to 0

Slide foreground slider to 100

Click OK

Your titles will now fade in and out over your project video.

Nat