Pan in 2.41?

borate

Hi

(Version 2.41)

The first point is your use of the word "Pan". You can easily make an overlay (image or clip) Scroll from one side of the screen to the other so that it appears to come in from right or left,pass across the image/movie showing on the main screen, (the background) and leaving on the opposite side. But "Pan" implies that your viewpoint moves across the image, not that an image moves across an image. "Pan" does not involve the image moving off the screen.

Adding a scroll to an overlay is simple as you just click the scroll option and select the direction from the list.

You can easily set a Pan of a clip or image where it doesn't exist by using the Zoom effect....

Activate the clip on the sequence by clicking it and then the effects button. This opens two images of the clip on the left of the screen.

In the top effects image, reduce the size of the red rectangle and move it to your proposed start position. Do the same with the second lower image to select the finish position. (Obviously you can't pan an image or clip without reducing its width as you have to reveal a section and hide a section as the pan proceeds.) Align the start/finish heights if required. Playing the effect will produce the pan. You can also retain/alter the correct aspect ratio by clicking one of the options below the two images.

It's a very useful option for use in slideshows to add variation to otherwise still images..

Now, If you want the overlay to Pan then you will need to save the clip you created above as an avi and then reload it as an overlay. Adjust it to full size, add fade, and position it relative to your sequence clip. It should now fade in, play (pan its image) and fade out. Obviously they must both have the same aspect ratio, and the overlay should be positioned centrally. You can, of course add scroll to the panning overlay if you wish or have it smaller in scale..

Nat

Thanks Nat,

I've always thought of "pan" as any horizontal movement, and "scroll" as vertical. But technically you're probably more accurate. I was able to enter screen-left and exit screen-right using just the ZOOM feature...after I changed 2.41 compatibility to Windows XP- (SP3). Prior to that, repositioning the IN positioners repeatedly crashed the program.

Related, I have been attempting to mask a clip, then chromakey that clip - having the masked portion reveal the background image. Seeing no "mask" option, I managed to loosely mask via a chromakey, then saved that clip as an avi to be used as the chromakey overlay. Didn't work well. My knowledge, and perhaps Videopad's capabilities, are being stretched a bit far here. Someone competent could likely manage it. But AVID, Final Cut or Lightworks would help. ^_^