Transition

borate

Transitions do not function correctly. The first is usually OK, but most of the rest are not. Problem persists in 3.01 Beta.

At the in point the FROM video may jump a frame or so and then freezes for a portion or the duration of the transition. Occurs with dissolves, wipes, etc.

Know the reason, and how to avoid the problem? Thanks

• 5 months later...

"Transitions do not function correctly" ... did this issue ever get reolved?

Pretty much, in the latest edition. Don't see much "jumping" now. However, it's the nature of crossfades to "freeze." Happens in other editing programs as well. You probably won't notice when fades are of of short duration.

Can't agree with that at all. What programs? In the past when I was in the business, I used Edius, Adobe, Sony, Power Director, Magix, Lightworks, and many more, and never, never had a cross fade freezing problem with those editors, regardless of the length of the effect. I'm sure that is true for other members here as well, which is why the complaints about this problem in VP persist! We were told a while back that this would be remedied with version 3.04 but it was not (and it still has the slowest render I've ever seen).

Still, I like it and wish they'd do some real work on it.

Can't agree with that at all. What programs? In the past when I was in the business, I used Edius, Adobe, Sony, Power Director, Magix, Lightworks, and many more, and never, never had a cross fade freezing problem with those editors, regardless of the length of the effect.

When two clips have no video to spare - at the end of the FROM clip and the beginning of the TO clip - a crossfade freeze seems inevitable; there's no video from either side to cover the full fade duration.

Perhaps what you witnessed in other programs was an overlap, not a crossfade, which VP doesn't offer.

I just now tested a 3.0 crossfade in PowerDirector 11. It performed in exactly the same manner as VP. At the head of the diss the TO video was frozen. At the mid-point, the TO video UNfroze and the FROM video froze for the remainder of the transition. I also tested this when both clips had been trimmed, which meant that there was video not used at the end of the FROM clip and the beginning of the TO clip. Same result. The transition did not incorporate trimmed video.

Lightworks is a high-end professional tool, a different animal. Don't know how it handles transitions, but I'll wager that it overcomes this behavior.

Hi

Borate has described exactly the behaviour of VP when creating crossfades. However the "overlap crossfade" IS there, you just need to create correctly.

They are perfect if they start BEFORE the end of the "From" clip and end AFTER the start of the "To" clip. There must be sufficient "hidden" footage with which to create the crossfade. In effect you ARE making an overlap with the unused portion from the ends of each clip.

To avoid the still images you have to shorten each clip by a MINIMUM of half the duration of the effect you are adding.I described the precise procedure in a previous post......

"For example, make a PROPER crossfade proceed as follows...

Place untrimmed Clip 1 and untrimmed Clip 2 on the sequence line with a standard VP crossfade of say 2 seconds between them. This configuration produces a crossfade with still images but no loss in overall length.

Now select Clip 2 and drag the red cursor line level with the right hand end of the yellow effects bar. Now pull back the end of Clip2 from the join to just past the cursor line. You have now created some "hidden" footage from Clip 2 sufficient for second half the overlap.

Now select Clip 1 and drag the red cursor line level with left end of the yellow effects bar. Now pull the right end of clip 1 back to the red cursor line. You have now created some hidden footage from Clip 1 sufficient for the first half of the overlap.

This procedure gives a perfect crossfade with both clips remaining in motion throughout."

In other editing programs a crossfade is made by overlapping ends of the clip...which shortens the overall length by exactly this amount and some of the footage from each clip is in effect lost in the overlap. There is no alternative with these packages if you want a crossfade.

At least with videopad you have a choice. You can create an crossfade without any overlap by simply butting up the clips and applying the effect to the join and thereby having to put up with the frozen images but no loss in overall length,(a sort of pseudo crossfade) or you can shorten the ends of the clips by dragging them (as detailed above)or by using the IN/OUT markers for each clip to provide the overlap footage and therby a normal crossfade without stills but with a shortened length.

Nat

It crashes every time i change anything in the movie. I'll be lucky to make two changes before it crashes.

You don't state your system's specs, which may help folks make recommendations

Consider installing the latest video driver from the chip manufacturer's WEB site. They are normally backwards compatible, but you can roll-back if problems arise.

http://nvidia.com/drivers

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx