Best format and resolution?

ad101867

I just tried saving a test project using these settings:

• Preset: custom
  • File format: .wmv
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 - HD 1080p
  • Frame rate: 29.97 [TV NTSC]

Watching the saved file in Windows Media Player, however, you can see the pixellation, and so I wonder how it would look on my 32" TV. Should I have used different settings for this?

Thanks again!

Hi

I am assuming you are saving your project to your PC.

Click "Computer/Data"

Click "Custom" and then the format of your original film...e.g. HD1080. Don't try to make it larger.

This will default to file format .avi and the resolution of your choice. (1920 x 1080...... 1289 x 72 etc.)

Click the "Encoder Options" button

Change the Video compressor to MPEG4 (Native)

Sound Compressor will be MP3 (Native)

Click OK

Preset will now show "Custom" ....Leave it.

Click OK and your film should now convert .

It should play in WMP and appear with a lot less pixellation.

Give it a try and see how it looks.

Nat

Thanks, Nat. I'm assuming that would be sufficient if I only wanted to play the vid back on my computer. I should've clarified, however, that I was only watching the file to give me an idea how good it might look on TV. So if I want to get the best possible playback after transferring to DVD and then playing that DVD on my television -- what settings would be the best?

Thanks again,

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello again, Nat. I'm revisiting this subject because your instructions must pertain to the newer VP. I went back to 2.41 because it actually provides a decent cross-fade (once a person figures out how to use it!). Version 3 does not. So when I try to apply your steps, things look different in 2.41. You began with...

Click "Computer/Data"

Click "Custom" and then the format of your original film...e.g. HD1080. Don't try to make it larger.

Okay, when you say "e.g. HD1080," that's under Resolution, not Format. Under Format I have a choice of wmv, mpg, avi, and so on. (I've been choosing wmv because that's the HD format used in Windows Live Movie Maker, which makes good recordings.)

This will default to file format .avi and the resolution of your choice. (1920 x 1080...... 1289 x 72 etc.)

Is .avi to be preferred over .wmv or .mpg?

Click the "Encoder Options" button

Change the Video compressor to MPEG4 (Native)

In 2.41 that doesn't appear under Encoder Options; instead the three options are: Windows Media Video 8, 9, or 9 Screen.

Sound Compressor will be MP3 (Native)

Mine gives the options of Windows Media Audio 9, 9.2, or 10.

What would you suggest in the 2.41 context?

Thanks again,

Andy

Hi Andy

Obviously your clips and images should be the highest resolution possible. Full HD1920 x 1080

I was (and still am) using VP2.41. Version 3.02 has some speed problems although I like some of the features.

The formats and things I mention here are what my VP version 2.41 offers. (Its the free professional version at any rate with some formats inactive but these below work. )

Once you have your edited clips finished on the sequence line, these are the settings I use. The DVD video looks OK on my TV (32")

My usual original footage is 1280 x 720 MPEG4 H264 (Sometimes I use1920 x 1080 MPEG4 H264) The clips are converted to MPEG2 though, as MPEG4 on my system shows marked lagging of the video against the sound and this causes editing difficulties. The MPEG2 conversions are fine though. For slideshows or inserted still images I use 12 megapixel images cropped to a 19:6 aspect to fit with the video (and the screen area of VP)

Click "Save Movie" on the taskbar

Select "Computer/Data"

Enter destination for the resulting rendered video.

"Preset"......Click down arrow and choose HD 720 If you have used the larger format select HD 1080(The default is Custom)

"File format" .avi This is a common container and will play in most programs. But if you are creating a DVD the program you

use for this will convert it into another format anyway. (VIDEO VOB, BUP etc.) So I use .avi for mine.

"Resolution" Use 1280 x 720 HD 720p.......(I meant film format in my original post not file format. :)

"Framerate" set this to 25 (TV PAL) or 29.97 (TV NTSC) depending on your TV system

The top box will have reverted back to "Custom" but you can ignore it.

Now click the button below the boxes marked "Encoder Options"

Select the "Video compressor MPEG4 (Native)" option from the down arrow drop down menu.

Ignore the Video compressor setting button. (Should be 4096 for the bitrate and 8192 for the maximum bitrate as defaults)

Select "Sound compressor" option MP3 (Native)

Sound format 44100 Hz at 128 Kbs Stereo

Click OK

Click OK

Depending on the length of your film, rendering may take a while.

Although you can save your work straight to a DVD with VP it doesn't creat a menu and you can only save one project per DVD.

I prefer to use a third party program such as DVD Styler..another reason why I save to my PC first.

Hope this helps

Nat