Overlay stuck, no-show on overlay track, cannot remove it

masonc

Hi

What version of VP are you using? I am pretty well conversant with 2.41 but not so much with the Beta version 3.

Can't be sure from your description what precisely you have. In 2.41 an overlay that plays should be visible on the overlay track and can be linked to the sequence clip if required. If it is on the overlay track you should be able to right click it and remove it.

Send a bit more detail - like exactly what is happening, what you are seeing and what you did from square 1.

Nat

VP 2.4.1 One overlay is sitting at a particular time for ten seconds but is NOT visible on the overlay track. It displays ok at that time.

It may or may not be appropriate at that time, depending on subsequent editing.

I am making a movie for Youtube with a voice recording of a 20 minute speech with

slides (images), video clips, subtitles, credits, overlays.

"Square 1" was three weeks and many edits ago. Great program, along with WavePad.

Other things on the overlay track can be easily seen and moved or edited.

Perhaps I must delete everything on the overlay track and re-create that track -- blah..

By the way, what is meant by "linked to the sequence clip" ?? Sounds handy but I don't see how.

Hi

If everything is working OK then an overlay that appears when you play the sequence should be visible on the overlay track. However, you say nothing is visible on the overlay track at the point where the effect plays.

This makes me think it might be playing as part of the clip.

...Have you ever saved an earlier version of your video containing the overlay and then used it in your current project? If so, it would then appear in the sequence as an apparent overlay but not, obviously underneath on the track.

Otherwise I can't think of how you are getting the effect you say, particularly if, as you say, you can see and remove other overlays.

""By the way, what is meant by "linked to the sequence clip" ?? Sounds handy but I don't see how.""

If you right click on the overlay box (the grey box containing the text or image under the sequence line) you get the option to link it to the sequence clip above it, provided it is not longer than the clip or doesn't fall over the junction between clips.

If you take this option you can then move the clip along the sequence line and the overlay will move with it. If you Insert extra clips before or after the clip, the two will still stay together.

Nat

Nat,

Oh, fudge ! It was a SUB-TITLE, not an overlay. Forgive me. This program is too powerful for my brain.

Thanks for the instruction on linking -- a good idea I'll use on my visible overlays. Really a necessary procedure!

Mason C