NCH failure to fix problems with DS2 files

Niksta

NCH, your products have always been of great assistance to the transcription industry but since upgrading to and purchasing the Pro version of Express Scribe, we continue to have problems playing DS2 files. No one from support seems interested in this problem. I today had another subby start with us who is using a Mac. I've had to continually convert files for all of my typists to DSS so that they can use ES. With Mac, it doesn't play DSS files, and although it has a big tick next to the box for DS2 files on your website, it has the same problems as with the Windows version. I now have to convert files for that user to WMA!!!!!!

When is NCH going to fix this problem? You are selling a product that does not work. Authors across the globe are updating their recorders and we are unable to keep up with them because your product does not work. Please advise the forum when you envisage a patch to fix this problem. Thank you

• 1 month later...

Express Scribe Pro does NOT play all DS2 files completely; there is a click, then the sound cuts off but the timer keeps running. I see A LOT of posts with other users having the same problem, but no official fix or even address of the issue by NCH/Express Scribe. I verified the integrity of the DS2 File (it plays completely fine with Olympus Player Lite), tried some random "file type converters" which replicated the problem cutting off the audio at the exact same meter mark, and messed up my pc with all the various downloads to try and find a fix. Now that I went and uninstalled the DEFECTIVE ES Pro... I've lost the use of my foot pedal. All told, I have about 14 hours in trying to make this work, trying to find a work around myself on the internet, trying to find a "file converter" and it's been a nightmare. I used to recommend Express Scribe to all of the law firms I associate with, but I will not be recommending the software/company any more. The company has to know about this problem by now and they simply fail to address it.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem! DSS files, no problem. DS2 files? Half the time they won't play completely. Just the "click" and silence. I have someone that can run them through a DS2 to DSS converter and they will work but I shouldn't have to do that when I have the Professional grade.

NCH -- What are you going to address this matter?

Olympus DS2 format is a proprietary format. Olympus WILL NOT release the specifications of this format to anyone, nor will they license it. It is being worked on to try and fix the problems with DS2 files, but there is no timeframe available for when this will be completed.

For now, Olympus does provide software that can convert ds2 files to dss files, there's a good walkthrough of how to do this here: http://www.dictationsupport.co.uk/converting-ds2-to-dss-with-olympus-standard/