Way too slow

jeffwecker81

Hi

The internet cable is not important as the rendering is done by your PC. However, it can take an apreciable time to render a film and seems to depend on the output format and the format of the original footage, and certainly the processing speed of your PC. However a 12 min film taking 12 hours seems quite excessive and not my experience even with longer films. (PC is dual core 2.2GHz with 2Gigs of RAM) A 2 hour holiday film edited for my neighbour who wanted ALL the footage included(yawn!) took all night to render and wasn't finished as an avi until midday the following day.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know why VideoPad takes so long to convert video. It took over 12 hours to do a 12 min video, which I think is too long. I have 10MB hi speed cable internet, 1 GB memory, computer is in good shape.Can anyone help with this?

Hi Jeff,

I believe your rendering difficulty is your low PC RAM and slow harddrive. I do not observe VideoPad rendering any slower than a competitor’s video editing program Pinnacle Video Studio Plus, which has been on the market for many years, and a favorite among hobbyists.

The key to your problem is stated on the VideoGuys website (first URL below) in the paragraph containing “your main system requirement is: 9+ megs per second sustained throughput for real-time… For HD editing you will need even more!” I believe HD takes 4 time 9+ or about 40 megs per second. Harddrives move data about 10 time slower than RAM, so you can either install 8 Gig of RAM, and a 64 bit operating system such as Vista 64 or Windows 64, or run a SATA Raid drive with 4 physical drives or a solid state drive.

If you are skeptical about what I am writing here, I suggest you read what the experts have to say on the subject. Read the webpages at the following URLs. https://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recommendations+for+Video+Editing/0x4aebb06ba071d2b6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/87956.aspx

The bottom line, video editing is the highest data rate application that I have ever done. I have not searched the NCH website fully, but I expect it does not warn the customer of the performance they should expect for various hardware configurations.

• 5 months later...

No - the problem is in the new version. I am having the same problem and I know it's not my computer. I have used VideoPad for years - they've always had "bugs" but not like this. It is constantly "building preview" everytime you make a cut. Then it takes about a minute for every mb of a file you try to save.

Definitely a bug in the program. Has anyone found a fix for it yet?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Same problem. Incredibly slow save speed with this program.To the point that it is unusable. 12 hours is just a bit too long to save an edited movie. Another question" When I delete the trailers at the beginning of a movie, why does the program feel the need to convert and save? Why can't it simply save as the original- minus the deleted parts?

I downloaded the free version a few days ago. Not impressed. Looking for something usable.

• 9 months later...

I have no idea how to create a whole new forum discussion page, so I'll just say it in a reply.

I've been using VideoPad (The newest version) since August 2nd, 2016 and videos were able to export extremely smoothly, it was even able to export even hour long videos, but now all of a sudden I started having slow exporting issues, one time I literally had to keep my computer on over night, just so it can render the video, it started exporting at around dinner time which was at 8 PM, and then I had to go to bed at around 11 PM, and then it FINALLY finished exporting as soon as I woke up the next day at 7 AM. That means it took 12 hours to export my gameplay video

I then thought maybe it's because I'm low of disk space, so I literally spent from 9 AM to 4 PM removing old things that were taking up too much space on my computer and I managed to remove a huge chunk of it and got so much space back on my Windows 7 computer, and then when I tried to export a video, it didn't make a single difference at all, it still taking hours and hours and hours to export, and it's still exporting as I'm typing this reply.

Then I started looking up videos on how to make videos on VideoPad export faster, and I watched about four different tutorial videos showing different ways I can make my video on VideoPad export faster, and each different way I did it, it did not make any difference at all, it's still slow at exporting no matter what I do.

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be and tell me what I can do to fix this issue. I really need to have this issue fixed, especially since I'm making gameplay videos every single day.

Hi

Check the task manager Processor usage performances graph. What is it running at? At rest my PC (dual core Vista) used to show 50% or so with nothing running until I stopped unwanted background tasks that ran at startup. (Updaters, scheduled things and video card stuff) Use CCleaner to check these.

After stopping these running automatically at startup the PC runs at 0-1% at rest. VP rendering and exporting has greatly increased in speed, even though the processor shows 100% usage while doing this. (It's obviously around 50% faster)

Rendering a video is still a time consuming job however. If you reduce the graph to a small window you can keep,it on the VP screen. It gives a good idea of how the job is going during editing.

Nat

I have no idea how to create a whole new forum discussion page, so I'll just say it in a reply.

I've been using VideoPad (The newest version) since August 2nd, 2016 and videos were able to export extremely smoothly, it was even able to export even hour long videos, but now all of a sudden I started having slow exporting issues, one time I literally had to keep my computer on over night, just so it can render the video, it started exporting at around dinner time which was at 8 PM, and then I had to go to bed at around 11 PM, and then it FINALLY finished exporting as soon as I woke up the next day at 7 AM. That means it took 12 hours to export my gameplay video

I then thought maybe it's because I'm low of disk space, so I literally spent from 9 AM to 4 PM removing old things that were taking up too much space on my computer and I managed to remove a huge chunk of it and got so much space back on my Windows 7 computer, and then when I tried to export a video, it didn't make a single difference at all, it still taking hours and hours and hours to export, and it's still exporting as I'm typing this reply.

Then I started looking up videos on how to make videos on VideoPad export faster, and I watched about four different tutorial videos showing different ways I can make my video on VideoPad export faster, and each different way I did it, it did not make any difference at all, it's still slow at exporting no matter what I do.

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be and tell me what I can do to fix this issue. I really need to have this issue fixed, especially since I'm making gameplay videos every single day.

Hi Rox ...,

I second what Nat said above

I don't know if VideoPad will use the video processor for rendering. Some rendering software will, which will greatly speed the process. Also more RAM will help. Reducing the output resolution will help greatly. Lastly, defragmenting the hard drive will help. Rendering reads large files, greats many temporary files and the final output is typically large. If the hard drive spends little time moving the head, the process goes faster.

You also stated you OS was Windows 7. Windows 7 Did a poor job at memory management. That is another reason to kill tasks that are running, including browsers.

Cheers, Mike