Express Scribe won't play mp3 files

erica-voss

We are trying to use the free version of express scribe, and on their home page where you download the software it says that the free version will play mp3 files. However, this morning when one of our transcriptionists tried to load up some mp3 files, it said her "trial" had expired and says we need to pay for an upgrade to play mp3s. Anyone know what's going on?

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but want to chime in that this is happening to me also. After the pro trial expired, I can no longer play mp3 files, although the website indicates that mp3 is supported in the free version. Hopefully someone from tech support will come across this thread!!

I am using v5.42 Intel on OSX 10.6.8

Okay, so I spent the last hour+ looking for other software to transcribe (Transcriva2 for mac looked okay) but I didn't want to pay and the shortcuts required two keys (I like the option of choosing anything).

Ultimately, the workaround could be to just convert the mp3 file into another compatible format, e.g. wav. I found that it was actually relatively simple (no third-party software) by using iTunes.

Kind of a minor inconvenience, if you ask me. However, I do think mp3 should be supported if it is advertised as such.

Hello. I'm trying to play mp3 files and got a pop-up that Express Scribe does not support this format. I've been using mp3s for a long time on the free version of Express Scribe. Can someone please help me? Does anyone know why this is happening? I transcribed mp3s just earlier this morning. Thanks.

it said her "trial" had expired and says we need to pay for an upgrade to play mp3s.

As the website says, you should still be able to load MP3 files after the Pro version trial expires.

We did find a bug in v5.45 (which has probably been present since v5.40) where it was doing case-sensitive instead of case-insensitive tests on file extensions. e.g., It would accept file.mp3 but reject file.MP3. A fix for this will be available in the next release.

• 1 month later...

As the website says, you should still be able to load MP3 files after the Pro version trial expires.

We did find a bug in v5.45 (which has probably been present since v5.40) where it was doing case-sensitive instead of case-insensitive tests on file extensions. e.g., It would accept file.mp3 but reject file.MP3. A fix for this will be available in the next release.

would this bug be the same for file.WAV? if so, when will the fix be available? I would really like my Express Scribe pro to start working again! :) (Right now, I'm running v 5.03 off of my laptop while working on my desktop, and it's a pain in the rear!) If the bug won't be out for a while, is there any where I can get v 5.03 again? Thanks.