Express scribe not playing .wav files

pipsissewa

I apologize if this problem has been solved in another thread, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

I have Express Scribe on my laptop and it works fine with the files that I am using. I bought a new desktop and am trying to set it up, but for some reason, the same files used with Express Scribe on my laptop are not working on my desktop. I can see the files in Express Scribe, but they load as 00:00 and I get the error message "Opening audio file failed. Cannot open the file "(whatever file I'm trying to load)." Check it exists and you have read access."

As I said, these same files work perfectly fine on my laptop. Any suggestions? I tried getting the Rhetorex codec, but it says that the version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thank you for any help!

I apologize if this problem has been solved in another thread, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

I have Express Scribe on my laptop and it works fine with the files that I am using. I bought a new desktop and am trying to set it up, but for some reason, the same files used with Express Scribe on my laptop are not working on my desktop. I can see the files in Express Scribe, but they load as 00:00 and I get the error message "Opening audio file failed. Cannot open the file "(whatever file I'm trying to load)." Check it exists and you have read access."

As I said, these same files work perfectly fine on my laptop. Any suggestions? I tried getting the Rhetorex codec, but it says that the version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thank you for any help!

Try this:

Right click on speaker icon on right lower corner of desktop.

Double click – Playback devices

Right click – Speakers/headphones

Click – Properties

Click – Enhancements tab

Check – Disable all enhancements

• 2 months later...

Try this:

Right click on speaker icon on right lower corner of desktop.

Double click – Playback devices

Right click – Speakers/headphones

Click – Properties

Click – Enhancements tab

Check – Disable all enhancements

Thanks for your response - sorry I didn't see this sooner. I tried what you suggested, but it's still giving me the same message. :(

Thanks for your response - sorry I didn't see this sooner. I tried what you suggested, but it's still giving me the same message. :(

Was this ever fixed? I may be one dumb bastard but I cannot get ES to accept my WAV or MP3. Is it supposed to happen by magic? I need software which will take a recording I made of a speech and print it out (as best as possible). Isn't this what ES is supposed to do?

Thanks

I have posted elsewhere on this NCH board but it certainly appears that the NCH techs rarely visit. I don't find it amusing that I have to purchase tech support or software just to get basic operation questions answered, that are required by my company to know before purchasing.

Is there any Tech on this board at all?

BarryG

Barry - ES isn't a word to text converter...I use it to listen to dictation in order to transcribe what I hear. I use ES instead of RealPlayer because ES works with a foot pedal to start, stop, rewind, and fast forward. If I'm not mistaken, you're looking for something that converts words to text and cuts out the middleman transcriptionist, right? I don't think it's free, but Dragon voice recognition is a speech to text program. Sorry if I've understood you wrong, though!

As for your first question, this was never fixed. I'm using my laptop to listen to the files through ES while working from my desktop. Ugh. And don't bother purchasing tech support or software - I did and it's not been any more help than this forum. I figure you win some, you lose some when it comes to free (or low-cost) programs. I just don't want to have to shell out the money for a better program like GearPlayer or CyberPlayer.

Was this ever fixed? I may be one dumb bastard but I cannot get ES to accept my WAV or MP3. Is it supposed to happen by magic? I need software which will take a recording I made of a speech and print it out (as best as possible). Isn't this what ES is supposed to do?

Thanks

I have posted elsewhere on this NCH board but it certainly appears that the NCH techs rarely visit. I don't find it amusing that I have to purchase tech support or software just to get basic operation questions answered, that are required by my company to know before purchasing.

Is there any Tech on this board at all?

BarryG

Barry - ES isn't a word to text converter...I use it to listen to dictation in order to transcribe what I hear. I use ES instead of RealPlayer because ES works with a foot pedal to start, stop, rewind, and fast forward. If I'm not mistaken, you're looking for something that converts words to text and cuts out the middleman transcriptionist, right? I don't think it's free, but Dragon voice recognition is a speech to text program. Sorry if I've understood you wrong, though!

As for your first question, this was never fixed. I'm using my laptop to listen to the files through ES while working from my desktop. Ugh. And don't bother purchasing tech support or software - I did and it's not been any more help than this forum. I figure you win some, you lose some when it comes to free (or low-cost) programs. I just don't want to have to shell out the money for a better program like GearPlayer or CyberPlayer.

Thanks @pip, for the clarifications. I was able to get ES to load my mp3 through manual file loading, then turn it into a .DCT file from the file/ menu. Little good I see now since I do not have weeks to get a transcription completed.