How can I remove the black space that VideoPad adds at end of movie

welftrinkdo

New to video editing.

I'm noticing that VideoPad adds black space at the end of most movies, eg, load single clip, green button down, go to end of clip no black, go to end of movie track and there is a fraction of a second black space. This ruins looping in game vids etc. It cannot be split off and deleted because VideoPad just adds it again.

I'm hopeful there is a way to remove this because with some movies it is not present.

Hi

Sorry can't get this to happen. I can load a clip to media list (MPEG2). Highlight clip in list and then add it to the sequence line using the green down arrow. (I usually drag/drop it myself but it has the same effect.)

The loaded clip looks OK and I don't have a black frame at the end of the sequence.(Once the clip has played the right hand preview pane displys black though, but its not part of the sequence.) If I use the green down arrow again to add the same clip to the end of the first, the two clips now on the sequence link perfectly. There is nothing between them nor at the end of the sequence either.

What format of clips are you using?

Nat

Sorry for delay - I was relying on an email alert. I thought subscribing to replies was auto.

I just had one of the few clips that was OK so I looked at it and it was 25fps and it exactly ended on .5 so I'm now thinking maybe it's because Videopad has to include a time track ending being exactly divisible by 1/10th of a second. So say a clip ended on 0.12 maybe VP had to stretch that to 0.2 by adding black.

I don't do a lot of video editing but I'll try to keep a look out over the next few weeks to see if I can verify this.

However, on second thoughts, surely if I split the end off then what remains would be rounded to 1/10ths? mmm... that ruins my theory. Unless... unless it the split off part is rounded leaving. What I'm trying to say if say the whole split off part is rounded to say a 0.5 length and discarded it but if that is removed from a main clip length of 5.07 then it still leaves 5.02 which it then rounds up to 5.1 by adding black. Wild guesswork here by a non-expert as you can tell. :)

I'll try to find time to experiment some more but I'm out of time today. :(

Here's an example provided in Vista and probably all recent Windows...

C:\Users\Public\Videos\Sample Videos\Bear

If I load that as a clip, press green down arrow to put it on the track, hit the 'go to end' on the right hand play track window it goes to the end and it's black. If I frame back before the black and split that off and remove it then what remains is shorter but still has black on the end. I can repeat that seemingly endlessly.

It's not just on the track - it gets saved with the movie.

Nobody else see that?

Is it something to do with a default transition being added automatically at the end? But I can't detect any transition.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. VideoPad is adding a black frame (or something like that) at the end of the movies.

This makes the transition annoying.

It seems that before I format my HD the VideoPad worked correctly.

I'm using other editor to reprocess the movies.

Is it a problem due to configuration or video encoder?

TIA

New to video editing.

I'm noticing that VideoPad adds black space at the end of most movies, eg, load single clip, green button down, go to end of clip no black, go to end of movie track and there is a fraction of a second black space. This ruins looping in game vids etc. It cannot be split off and deleted because VideoPad just adds it again.

I'm hopeful there is a way to remove this because with some movies it is not present.

Hi

Yes you are correct. Using an external program that allows me to check every individual frame of an avi, I have examined several avi files generated on VP both at 25 fps and 30fps.

In each case the sequence finished with a single black frame. (An avi file of an original MPEG4 camera clip finished without a black frame.)

Joined clips however were perfect in that the frames from clip1 to clip2 were completely consecutive. (But clip 2 still finished with a black frame.)

It is not affected by any default transition you might have set.

But, more importantly, why do you find this a problem :mellow: How do want the clip to finish when it is shown? After all a projected film generally finishes with white screen, or a film lead out full of dust and scratches. :)

If you finish with a fade out...............

Nat

• 7 months later...
.... But, more importantly, why do you find this a problem :mellow: How do want the clip to finish when it is shown? After all a projected film generally finishes with white screen, or a film lead out full of dust and scratches.

Nat

I thought the original poster was very specific in the explanation of the problem, and desired solution. I fail to understand how Nat didn't understand it. The original poster of the topic DOES NOT WANT VIDEO PAD TO ADD A BLACK CLIP to the end of the sequence, or else an explanation on how to get rid of the one that VP adds!

This isn't film that we are dealing with; we don't have to worry about reels on a projector. Nat asked "How do want the clip to finish when it is shown?". Well, from my understanding, he wants his video to end at its own end -- without an additional black clip being added to it.

Seems simple enough to me, but he never got an answer here.

I was interested, too.

Hi

I take your point, but as I said, if the poster wants to simply repeat the clip several times (loop it) then all he has to do is go into storyboard mode and right click the clip in question and then select "Duplicate clip(s)" This will repeat the sequence and there is no artifact between the clips. He can do this as many times as he likes. In any case,I can't get a black frame to appear between any of the sequences built up in this way. There may be one black frame at the end of the last sequence in some circumstances as I mentioned but how would you want a single sequence to end in any case? 1) The last frame as a static image. 2) A white frame or 3) A black frame. It's got to finish in some way.

Nat

Since it's at the end of the video, the workaround would be to "Insert Blank," which is offered in the toolbar.

Click the down arrow beside Insert Blank, and you can select the color you want. The duration of the blank is adjustable. So insert a blank and cross-fade to it, which will give the effect of a fadeout.

""Click the down arrow beside Insert Blank, and you can select the color you want. The duration of the blank is adjustable. So insert a blank and cross-fade to it, which will give the effect of a fadeout."

Which is what I suggested (and is normal practice in most films) in an earlier post. :)

Nat

• 4 months later...

I see this same issue. It is a problem when you want to make a small clip, duplicate it, and play the 2nd one backwards. In this case, what you end up with is two black frames in the middle of your video. Video editor software shouldn't automatically insert a black frame at the end of a sequence. The movie should end up with the last frame that the user puts in the sequence. If I want a black frame at the end of a sequence, I will put it there myself.

Hi

That's a novel scenario but usable and perfectly possible, however VP (as far as I am aware) will not reverse a clip and create a new one. This means you would have to create this second reversed clip in third party software and it would then simply be another clip to add to the VP media list and drop onto the timeline.

Now, even if your first clip does finish with a black frame, this would not be seen when the reversed clip is added to it, as they are not present in consecutive clips. The black frame which would (as you suggest) start the reversed second clip could easily easily be split off in any case, so leaving no black frames.

At the same time, there is nothing to suggest that the end black frame would, in fact appear at the start of the reversed clip.

However, my question still stands...What do you want to see on the screen after the last frame?

It has to be something....

Nat

VP will create a "duplicate clip" that you can reverse. I am using no third party software to do this. In the timeline, just right click on the clip and select "duplicate clip." Then, for the duplicate clip, you add effect "speed" and click the "reverse" option. When you save this as a movie, and play it with Windows Media Player with the repeat option "on," there are black frames when it repeats (not in between the forward and reverse clips as I had stated previously)

If you just save clip 1 (forward) as a movie (say avi format), then play that avi movie with Windows Media Player, there are black frames at the end. But if you re-import that avi movie back into VP, then do as I say above creating the duplicate reversed clip 2, there are no black frames in between clip 1 (forward) and clip 2 (reversed), but just black frames at the end of the new movie once it's saved. So it only seems to insert the black frames at the end of a movie, and VP somehow knows not to play the black frame(s) in between the two clips.

When you create a movie like this (clip 1 forward and clip 2 reverse of clip 1) and play it in a player such as Windows Media Player with the repeat option set, the movie should just play over and over without a big blank in between the repeat. When I create a forward/reverse sequence like this with Adobe Premiere, then play it in Windows Media Player, I don't get a black frame when it repeats.

So the answer to your question of "However, my question still stands...What do you want to see on the screen after the last frame? It has to be something" is as I stated before. The last frame of the actual data embedded in the movie that VP writes should be the last frame that the author specifically puts there. If a video player wants to show a black screen after the movie ends, then the player can do that. I've seen some that do, some that leave the last frame on the screen, and some that go to their logo, or whatever they want - that's fine. But the video authoring software itself should not add frames automatically.

Hi Carrdon

"VP will create a "duplicate clip" that you can reverse. I am using no third party software to do this. In the timeline, just right click on the clip and select "duplicate clip." Then, for the duplicate clip, you add effect "speed" and click the "reverse" option. "

My apologies, you are quite correct I forgot there was a "reverse button" in the change speed window, and the steps you outline above are correct. (I have mostly used the VP speed change option to match copied 8mm film to the re-recorded soundtrack.

I agree that there IS a black frame at the end of the last clip and you agree there is NOT one between the two clips.

It seems if we use VP to edit our films (and I think it's pretty good in most ways) we just have to put up with that last frame. I respect your opinion that it might be better without it and the clip should perhaps finish with just a static last frame, but erhaps there is a technical reason for it.

Nat

• 1 year later...

Hi,

sorry for digging this up but i have the exact same problem as OP. Is there a solution to the problem? I have a .avi source file, i cut a bit, speed up parts, slow down parts and every time i split a clip it inserts a black frame or a fraction of a black frame at the end of the clip. How to get around this?

Greeting

w0den

Hi

My question is still a valid one.....How would you want it to end......the last frame as a still image?.........and after that? etc.

I have checked an avi generated with version 3.60. which enables me to see all the frames right up to the last one. I see no black frame at the end

However, If you use VLC or Windows Media player to view the avi it finishes playing with a black screen. If you use Irfanview player it finishes with the last frame as a still image. (Its not black!)

Nat

Hi Nationalsolo,

you are still missunderstanding the question. Nobody cares about the black frame at the end of the whole movie/project. The problem is if you cut multiple times you get black frames at the end of clips/cuted pieces. This doesn't make any sense. To apply your question "How would you want it to end?" the answer is very simple: I want it to end with the last frame in the clip, not something inserted by the video editor.

w0den

Hi

With version 3.6 I can cut a clip multiple times and insert other clips and not see any black frames between the clips or at the ends of the cut clips or where the join is made. (I am keeping the clips on the same track)

Previously in the forum there had been a "black flash" reported at the joint between clips with earlier versions. I can't reproduce this yet with this version so it may have been a bug NCH has corrected.

e.g. (Among others)

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/21380-when-i-cut-a-clip-it-creates-a-small-gap/page__hl__+black%20+flash#entry48619

These were definite black "frames" and were associated with the join between clips. Looking at it at the time, it seemed to be a problem of a small (tiny) space between the clips which played black for an instant. Closing the gap did not work as you couldn't zoom in enough to see the space.Neither did dragging the right clip back in an attempt to get a closer join. The line at the join also looked wider.

If this is what you are referring to, you can get around if, when you have trimmed a clip, you place the following clip onto the overlay track and adjust its position so it starts at the required place. As it overplays the main track clip any "gap" produced by trimming and joining will not occur.

As regards how a clip finishes...Using the VP app the preview of a clip finishes with the last frame.

Depending on your external player, the exported video may finish with a black screen or a still of the last frame.

Nat

Nat

• 6 months later...

Hi HurryRush...Gosh! This is an old thread :)

I have had a look at your animation which seems to consist of 45 frames (gif images) the last one of which is a black frame. As it is apparently set it to loop, the black frame is seen at the end of every cycle.

Taking out the last frame and then resaving the animation, it loops normally.

Obviously you can't loop indefinitely via VP as clips have to have a finite length so I created a sequence with several gif clips of the animation in sequence, each without the last frame. This timeline played correctly with no black ones in the preview and the exported gif also played correctly without black frames.

I can only assume you have inadvertantly introduced a black frame into your animation sequence somehow.

To be certain though...What version of VP were you using and how did you create the animation (not the images) and get it to repeat in VP? It may be the version you used.

I used version 4.00 and I simply clicked the clip in the media list several times and added the clip each time to the end of the sequence.

Nat

I created the video in VP and saved it. It was automatically transcoded to gif by gfycat.

The video hosted on gfycat and set to loop also shares this problem, only in the gif it's much more pronounced.

Obviously you can't loop indefinitely via VP as clips have to have a finite length so I created a sequence with several gif clips of the animation in sequence, each without the last frame. This timeline played correctly with no black ones in the preview and the exported gif also played correctly without black frames.

This isn't really what needs to be done. The VP output has to be a single loop for imgur/coub/gfycat to use. It seems to me the previous posters wanted the same...

____

Actually it seems that I was using an antique version. I've tried to use a new VP version and it doesn't add a black frame. However, I now have no idea how to crop a video without zooming in (I've cut off parts of a 960x540 video and the output result either has black bars, or is too 960x540)

I guess it's a different problem now :)

• 2 months later...

Same problem here. If I cut one clip into different parts, it appears a black frame in some of them, randomly.

The only way I "found" to avoid it is cutting a little bit the end of part X and extending a little bit the beginning of part X+1. And sometimes it doesn't work because, as I said, the black frame appears randomly!

This issue is fixed in later versions. Please upgrade to recent version to solve the problem.

If you encountered the problem in the latest version, please open a new topic and report it as bug.

Best regards,